1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emigration to Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rachorner, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am wanting to emigrate to Australia and work over there as a secondary Maths teacher. I am fully qualified and have taught in England for 4 years as well as holding the position of SENCO for 2 years.

I have no idea where to start, who I need to contact or how I go about getting a job! Can anybody help me?

Thank you.

2. Hi,

I am wanting to emigrate to Australia and work over there as a secondary Maths teacher. I am fully qualified and have taught in England for 4 years as well as holding the position of SENCO for 2 years.

I have no idea where to start, who I need to contact or how I go about getting a job! Can anybody help me?

Thank you.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Where abouts in Australia? X

4. Step 1 - get visa (look at DIAC website for which one -depending on your situation and how long you want to go for either a WHV or 175/176 is probably best)
    Step 2 - Get to Oz and register with relevant State's Teaching board
    Step 3 - Apply for jobs in desired area.
    As a Secondary Maths you have a little more flexibility with regards to the steps, as its one of the few teaching areas that they actually do need teachers pretty much everywhere, so could also apply for jobs from the UK (or just write on spec to schools you are interested in, in your desired area), however I would advise depending on your situation to be wary of a 457 visa - if you decide you do not like the school/job (or the take the mickey) enough that you want to leave you have 28 days to find a similar position (pay, conditions etc) or leave Australia. If you have a family this is more than a little stressful and even if you don't, I wouldn't want that level of stress hanging over me when it isn't nec.
    FYI - 176 visas (State Sponsored, Secondary Teachers of STEM subjects are currently being sponsored by SA and possibly Victoria, but google each state and 'SMP' to find the most up to date info on that) are taking only a few months to go through at the moment, so this can be as quick if not quicker than a 457 anyway.
    HTH you get started :)