1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Emigrating from the UK to Australia.

Discussion in 'Australia - Staffroom' started by shannon0770, Aug 16, 2019.

  1. shannon0770

    shannon0770 New commenter

    Hello everyone,

    I am currently in the process of meeting the visa requirements of emigrating to Australia. In the UK we typically complete a 3 year teaching degree, meaning I would need to obtain a Masters degree to meet the 4 year university study requirement.

    Unfortunately, a Masters degree does not result to much in your career in the UK. You tend to complete a master degree out of interest. Is this mirrored in Australia, or do headteachers prefer to employ teachers with a master degree? If so, I am indecisive whether to study a International Education or a SEN course. I have 4 years experience in teaching students with SEN, so therefore the course will develop my current knowledge further. Or should I study something new?

    I apologise for all of the questions and possible rambling on. It is quite hard to plan for possible work abroad when you do not know how the headteachers select employees.

    Thank you all!
  2. Christopher  Curtis

    Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter


    I can’t give specific advice. It is not up to head teachers, mostly called principals here, but the registration authorities. We are much more serious about teaching qualifications here than in England. I can say from having served on many selection panels that we never considered whether a teacher had a master’s or not. They were either qualified or not, not that we ever had anyone unqualified apply.

    Education is a state/territory responsibility in Australia. I suggest you contact the relevant state or territory’s teacher registration authority and ask directly. In my state it is the Victorian Institute of Teaching. In other states, it can have very different names. Use Google.

    Once registered you can apply for jobs, and the appointment process varies from state to state and between government to non-government schools. Thus, in Victorian government schools, you will have your application read by a panel of teachers, which in most cases will not even have the principal on it. The panel may or may not interview you. It will then recommend to the principal which applicant, if any, gets employed. I’ve never known a principal to reject a recommendation.

    Generally speaking, you don’t need a master’s but you do need four years, which might be a Bachelor of Education or a Bachelor of Arts and a Diploma of Education or one of many other qualifications or combinations of qualifications.
  3. TeacherPure

    TeacherPure New commenter

    Im doing SEN studies here in Australia. if you wish to PM me. Im from the uk!

Share This Page