1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emetophobia

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by djaye14, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    This is really embarrasing but I need to post and get some opinions because it's starting to eat away at me!
    I have a place on a PGCE Primary course for September 2012 which I am very excited about.
    As part of the entry requirements I have got to have an online health check which I'm expecting shortly. I don't have any serious health problems and overall I'm a really healthy and happy person.
    However, I have never been officially diagnosed with this condition but I know I have some form of it. It's called Emetophobia, and it's a fear of being sick. When I feel sick myself, I go into hysterics and I get ultra panicky and needy. I know that nobody likes vomiting, but I take it a lot worse than others. I suffered from it so badly as a youngster but as I'm getting older it's something I'm 'growing' out of. However, sometimes when I see people being sick it also plays away at me too, which is a real concern.
    As I am entering primary school teaching, children are known to be sick more than others and I'm worried this phobia is going to affect my teaching. Should I just face the embarrasment and go to the doctors and get this treated now?
    Also, should I put this on my health check?? Thing is as being sick is a common thing with children, I am SO SO SO SO worried it's going to affect my place :(
    Advice on this would be really grateful! Thanks.

2. Hi everyone,
    This is really embarrasing but I need to post and get some opinions because it's starting to eat away at me!
    I have a place on a PGCE Primary course for September 2012 which I am very excited about.
    As part of the entry requirements I have got to have an online health check which I'm expecting shortly. I don't have any serious health problems and overall I'm a really healthy and happy person.
    However, I have never been officially diagnosed with this condition but I know I have some form of it. It's called Emetophobia, and it's a fear of being sick. When I feel sick myself, I go into hysterics and I get ultra panicky and needy. I know that nobody likes vomiting, but I take it a lot worse than others. I suffered from it so badly as a youngster but as I'm getting older it's something I'm 'growing' out of. However, sometimes when I see people being sick it also plays away at me too, which is a real concern.
    As I am entering primary school teaching, children are known to be sick more than others and I'm worried this phobia is going to affect my teaching. Should I just face the embarrasment and go to the doctors and get this treated now?
    Also, should I put this on my health check?? Thing is as being sick is a common thing with children, I am SO SO SO SO worried it's going to affect my place :(
    Advice on this would be really grateful! Thanks.

3. Hi,
    first BIG UP yourself for taking the first steps to getting it out in the open, and talking about going to the doctors about it.

You have not been formally diagnosed so there is absolutely no need to put it on any health check.

Have you researched into how it would be treated if/when you went to the doctors? I doubt that they would do anything much tbh. I would research into other people solutions and definitely phone a few alternative practitioner, hypnotherapists for example. i dont know what your thoughts on hypnotherapy are, but just to reassure you it is basically about giving you control of your thought cycle, so instead of thoughts about say cigarettes/ food going around in your head and culminating in you smoking a cigarette, a new thought appears (which the hypnotherapist has helped you 'insert' into the pattern) which says whatever you come up with at the session and effectively stops the viscous cycle.

Going to the GP will effectively make it into a 'health problem'-which you're then (i dont know about legally, but morally) obliged to mention. You sorting it out yourself is you taking proactive action about your own development- just as some people do about smoking, low self esteem etc.
    I definitely agree with you that you should do something-much better to treat it now than be worrying about it up to the point one of the children is sick at which point you've worried and thought about how you will react so much that you've convinced yourself that you'll panic. so of course you do.

Also dont be embarrassed! loads of us have things like this -that we don't think we should do, but they just happen- immediatly after my husbands operation (he was literally on the hospital bed in the nightie) the Dr was explaining the procedure to us and I went all weird and wandered off to faint... three nurses crowded around me! (husband not so impressed I stole the attention lol)
    And well well done for getting on the course.

4. Thank you!
    It's not like it's out of control or anything, and I havent really been in front of people being sick for a while. The only time I have recently is when I've been on a night out... and that doesnt seem to bother me!
    If I feel sick though its a different story... I cling onto my boyfriend and I panic like a child. Its really embarrasing even though I've been with him for a couple of years now. But I just worry that one day if a child is sick in front of me It'll just throw me off and affect my teaching... especially if I'm in the middle of being assessed!
    It's difficult because it's never been a massive deal to me, but it's def improved over the years. I just don't want it to affect my place - I have worked so hard to get it and this is what I really want to do - I don't want a silly phobia to ruin this.
    Yeah I have seen a few therapies online... one is hynotherapy. I've never seen anyone about it before, purely because I'm embarrased! I just need to bite the bullet and go and see my GP I guess. I really want to be clear of it before I start, so doing something now will be beneficial.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

A colleague of mine is very averse to being sick/seeing people being sick. She is a very successful primary teacher in spite of it!

6. Thank you, Kartoshka. That's very promising!