1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emergent writing

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by zetec, Mar 19, 2009.

1. I have been asked to do a presentation on emergent writing for the parents.
    I have my presentation ready (sort of!) and was wondering if anyone had a nice quote I could kick off with! Have scoured the internet but can' find anything.

Thanks!

2. I have been asked to do a presentation on emergent writing for the parents.
    I have my presentation ready (sort of!) and was wondering if anyone had a nice quote I could kick off with! Have scoured the internet but can' find anything.

Thanks!

3. 'Emergent writing' seems to be a strange old-fashioned idea for a whole presentation for parents.
    Surely this should be just a part of a more complete presentation on teaching reading and writing through a systematic synthetic phonics route?
    Emergent writing rather depends on the idea of 'developmental' stages rather than the fact that children can be taught by direct instruction methods to 'write' without having to 'pick it up' themselves.
    It's not that children don't start emulating the process of writing in their play or their developmental stage, it's just that we should be going that one step futher nowadays by very specifically teaching them - not leaving to chance how much they will 'develop' naturally!

4. How about using the quotation displayed prominently by the DCSF in their 2008 publication Mark Making Matters:<font size="3"> &lsquo;Scribbles are products of a systematic investigation, rather than haphazard actions&rsquo;.
    </font>John Matthews (1999), The Art of Childhood and Adolescence: The Construction of Meaning. London: Falmer (p. 19)
    The publication itself (DCSF,2008) shows very clearly that emergent writing is still very much an acknowledged part of good practice in the Early Years. It can also be seen that the scale points on the EYFS profile fit almost precisely the stages of development of emergent writing.
    Emergent writing was never about leaving children to "pick up" writing on their own, but a recognition that children's development, in this area as in many others, passed through stages and that careful observation of these stages could facilitate provision of stage appropriate resources and teaching.
    Hope all goes well with your presentation!<font size="3">
    </font>

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Have you seen the work on the Scottish Learning and Teaching site?
    Emergent writing involves teachers being aware that learning to write for each individual child is a personal experience and that there are identifiable stages of development that each child will pass through, dependent on a number of different factors, including intellectual, social, emotional and environmental.

Personally I don't think emergent writing conflicts with teaching children to form letters and spell words. It is something that happens naturally for many children, before and alongside developing more formal writing skills. I have examples of both displayed in my classroom which clearly show children's developing understanding of letters/phonics.

6. Please could you upload your presentation as I am interesting in learning more... Thank you.