1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emergency Worksheets for Secondary?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Dunteachin, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Have a trawl through the resources section of this website. Get a selection of Maths puzzles, poems or grammar/punctuation sheets for English, general knowledge quizzes for History/Geog, reading comprehensions for Languages, wordsearch templates. The list is endless. You can photocopy them at break/lunchtime when you know which subjects you will be covering. I can't tell you how many times these resources have helped me out of a tricky situation! Take a stock of pens, pencils and file paper, also. Good luck!

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

You are right, Timberwolf, and nine times out of ten work has been left by the HOD. However, there are occasions where it has gone missing or the kids have finished it after 10 minutes or they have done it before. It always pays to have something up your sleeve! What's more there is always some child who doesn't have a pen etc, which drives me nuts, so I have a few spares just in case. It just makes life that bit easier. Plus, staff are mighty impressed when you come prepared and so there's every chance you'll be asked to do more supply. In fact, I've been offered a part-time contract after Christmas on the strength of the supply work I have been doing.

3. Yes I admit that I do carry a few pencils with me, (not pens I never get them back). Also I have been at it so long I can create lessons on the spur so to speak as I'm sure a lot of supply out there can.
    It just irritates me that sometimes I'm trying to do my job but the school can't be bothered to do theirs.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I must admit I carry pencils, pens, sharpener, colouring crayons,<u>small </u>rulers, etc. (all named) just to avoid the 'work avoidance' strategy on behalf of the students & if I can't locate the right equipment quickly, it can speedily erode my discipline. Mind you I have been at this many years and only have to 'top up' the equipment occasionally- started off with my own children's cast-offs at the end of the year!

5. I carry a few bits and pieces around as well, just the basics and I make damned sure I get them back - usually write on the board in small letters what has been loaned out.
    Even though work should have been left it is good to have a few filler activities in case they finish or get bored. I usually have blank word search grids, which they can turn into a word search or a cross word, writing clues for the hidden words or just hiding the words and getting another student to find them. Works for a fair few subjects, and is a good revision exercise.
    If I'm not familiar with the topic (and face it, with secondary you probably won't be!) I let the kids get on with the work and if it looks like the might get bored I pick up a textbook to get some key words about their topic and make it into a game of bingo - draw a 3 x 2 grid and pick 6 words from a list on the board to write in the grid, then I call out the definitions. Merits or stickers for the first one to get all their words. Doesn't work with all years or subjects, but can be great fun.
    Pass the pen - find out what topic they are studying and give them a minute or two to write down as many words as possible linked to that topic. Then five minutes on the clock to write them on the board, one at a time, boy passes to girl, girl passes to boy. Great fun and a good way to start off if no work has been left, you can send a kid off to find the HoD to get some work. Can spend a good 10 minutes on this, and award merits for the best words.
    If I turn up and no work has been left I make sure that the HoD knows about it.
    It could be a good idea to save panicking at the start of the lesson to visit each room where you will be at the start of the day (before lessons start and assuming you aren't covering tutor time) or at break/lunch and see what work is set, maybe taking a copy in case it goes "walkies". If there is nothing left then you can try to get it sorted before the lesson.

6. Thanks so much for your replies, I especially like the blank wordsearch grids and bingo. Still waiting for that first call...

7. The school history website has some great resources, but again I agree with other posters in secondary it is down to the HOD to come up with the work. I hope you get some work soon [​IMG]

8. Acrostics and word chains are good off the top of your head. Take some general wordsearches or puzzles, always have paper and pens, and never rely on being able to use a photocopier at the school - you may not find anyone willing or able to let you use their code to use the photocopier.