1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

emergency tax and agencies

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by fsteacher, Dec 15, 2011.

  1. sorry if this has been asked before. I've just started work with another agency (stil working day to day for first agency too) but the second agency are charging me emergency tax. They tell me this is normal as I've put down this is my second job because i'm registered with another agency. I just wanted to check if this is normal and/or if anyone else is in the same position.
  2. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Perfectly normal.
    Emergency (BR) tax actually means Basic Rate and you will be charged 20% income tax on everything you earn with them.
    20% is yhe normal tax rate for anyone not earning in the mid £40k bracket and getting charged Higher Rate tax of 40% on the top tranche of their earnings.
    You will need to contact the Inland revenue in 2012 after you have received P60s (statements of earnings, taxable pay and tax paid) from each employer.
    If you received more than £7425in pay from your first employer between 6th April 2011 and 5th April 2012, you will have used up all your tax-free allowance with that employer and they too will have deducted 20% (BR) tax off everything you earned over that amount.
    If your second employer earnings had been extra bookings with employer one instead, you would have paid 20% tax on those eaxtra earnings with Employer 1.
    If you didn't get enough work from employer 1 to reach the £7425 tax allowance, you will be due a rebate of overpaid tax as the unused tax-free allowance can be offset against your earnings with employer 2.
    You should write to your tax office (send to your local tax office with your NI number included and they will forward it to the tax office that deals with employer 1, which is alos your current tax office) and tell them about the Union subs that you have paid , the GTC fee and any fees for CRB checks in this financial year.
    tell them which Union you are in and they should know what propeortion of the subs can be offset against tax. They might ask you to find that out (I check whenever I change Union and know the proprotion I can claim before contacting the tax people). I can tell you thta with the NUT you can get tax relief on 2/3rds of the subs and with the ATL on 9/10ths of the subs (it depends on the political levy and how their organsiation is legally set up).
    The Inland revenue then increases your tax code and this increases the amount of money that you can earn tax free.
    If you have been ina Union before this tax year (and/or paid GTC fee/ CRB etc) make a separate claim for each tax year going back up to 5 tax years, and they will send you a rebate of tax.
    People should back claim soon as from next year (mid-late January, I think) they are redsucing the arrears claim period to 4 years.
    Your tax code is the 3 figure +one letter code on your payslip. 749 as the numbers means that you keep the first £7490 of your pay tax-free. They divide the code by 12 for monthly paid workers and by 52 for weekly paid.
    If you need assistance with sorting out your tax assessment form after the end of the tax year, you can see an advisor at your local office and get help with your first claim. Sign the form but do not hand it over straightaway. Go somewhere nearby and get a photocopy and then return the form. You will then have an exemplar form to guide you in future years.

Share This Page