1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emergency lesson plans when TA off sick

Discussion in 'Primary' started by regencyrob, Apr 27, 2011.

1. I teach year 5 and if it happens to me I tell the SLT they need to get a supply TA in.
    Its easier for me to teach a whole class lesson as my children can work independently.
    If I was you I would DEMAND a supply TA or one from another class upper KS2 and then if they say no teach some whole class lessons!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

[​IMG]
    amip with experience you will learn to adapt your plans to fit the situation, just as you wouldn't carry on with a lesson that is clearly not working just because it is on your planning (make a note on the plans afterwards to say what you've done if you feel you need to) you often have to think on your feet. The best laid plans ... and all that!

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I teach a mixed yr 5/6 class, my TA has been off ill for the 2 weeks before the holidays and has a further 2 weeks left before she is back ( and my yr 6's have SATs coming up!) You just manage! There is no God Given right to a TA ( unless you have a child with a statement, which is an entirely different matter!) and you will learn to either plan accordingly if you know he/she is going to be off or, as Msz says, adapt as you go along if it is unforseen.

4. A supply TA? As in from an agency? Not heard of that before. Is that what you mean?

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I hardly had a ta for 2 terms in yr 3.they kept using her somewhere else....so the kids have to have a stright lesson and differentiate on the work they do..and i had to try and help all those who need helping.
    They where also a challanging class as well!

6. Thanks for advice. I know I need to learn to think on my feet more! Glad it's not just me that finds it a challenge though.

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi... Why don't you plan as if you have no support? Or, plan as normal, but also plan a very basic independent activity which requires very little preparation which you can fall back on if you need to?

I always found it useful to keep a stock of times table grids and hundred squares, would get the less able for example, to colour all the multiples of two. Or flip it upside down, get your top group doing something on their own, and support which ever you feel is the one that can't cope without support for that lesson, think on your feet and make up an activity on the spot.

There's no point in making up a whole bank of lessons incase she's away, it's easier to plan your lesson as if no one is coming or have an extra independent activity prepared!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

I love the way that post peters out [​IMG]

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Unless you want to seriously annoy you colleagues in upper KS2 DO NOT do this! EVER!
    KS1 have no more need of a TA that KS2. Upper KS2 often use TAs to take small groups and so would have the same issues as you when the TA is off. Why should those children lose out so yours don't have to? I teach year 6 and share a morning TA with the other year 6 teacher. KS1 staff have a full time TA each. There is no way on this planet it would be fair for us to give ours away because theirs is off!

You do get used to adapting activities at the drop of a hat for such situations. You also get used to thinking it is OK for one group to have 'choosing time' because there is nothing useful they can do independently. Or you can get your most able to work with the least able as a TA. (I hate the last one when I see it regularly in classes, but for occasional emergency use it certainly has its place.)

10. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Yes I agree with this. The teacher next door to me ended up losing her TA nearly every day to KS1 last term, and it was really, really hard on her because she has 2 Autistic children and some with severe behavioural needs. I can't imagine how they worked out that the need was greater in KS1. Plus, if you're taking away from upper KS2- this would make people very very cross. Year 5 and 6 are very important years and there is a LOT of intervention which relies on TA's so it's not as straight forward as just taking them from elsewhere. As far as i'm concerned, if your own TA is away - you put up with it, unless SMT are nice enough to get a 'supply TA' in (Which in my school they sometimes do!)