1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emergency Essentials

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Mar 16, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Sort of linked to the Can't Be Arsed thread,
    What do you always ensure you've got in the storecupboard, fridge or freezer ready for when: you just can't be bothered to spend ages in the kitchen, you've forgotten to get the chicken pieces/frozen curry out of the freezer, you've not been shopping or when things happen out of the blue that mean that what you'd planned for dinner goes out of the window?
    I don't mean things you always have around, such as spices you always have in or umpteen half-full packets of dried pulses (which I always seem to have!), but things that will make an impromptu meal if put with something else.
    I always have:
    Tinned anchovies and/or tinned tuna - great cooked up with garlic, tinned tomatoes and bottled capers to make an instant sauce for pasta
    Pesto - 'nuff said
    Tinned tomatoes - to make the abovementioned pasta sauce
    Frozen white fish portions - Throw into a baking dish with chopped garlic and tinned tomatoes and bake for an instant fish dinner.
    Eggs - Omelette, poached on toast, scambled on toast, fried in a butty.
    Rice, couscous and bulghur wheat - cooked in stock or simply steamed in water - great with just olive oil and lemon juice, or a spoon oh harissa
    Harissa - see above!
    Tinned pulses - an instant stew with onions, garlic and tinned tomatoes

Would be great if you could say what you'd use them for - might give others ideas!

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I always have:
    Eggs - for poached eggs on toast (or on a roll or on whatever bready substance I have left). I also use them to make pancakes I can then put savoury or sweet stuff with.
    Large potatoes - so I can have a microwaved jacket potato and stick cheese/tuna/tinned toms on it (whatever I have in the cupboard)
    Tinned tomatoes - perfect to help make a quick pasta sauce or sauce for mince etc for a spag bol type of dish

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I agree with all of those, plus:
    • spaghetti
    • chinese-style noodles
    • I prefer passata to tinned tomatoes
    • tube of anchovy paste in addition to the jar of anchovies in the fridge
    PS: where can you buy salted capers these days? I don't like the ones on brine/vinegar as much

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

They definitely sell them in Waitrose, in the "Cook's Selection" bit. I'm sure I've bought them in either Tesco's or Sainsburys as well.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

In the cupboard:
    Tinned Tuna (in brine) and Boneless Tinned Sardines - Sardines on Toast; Tuna and Rice;Sardines topped by Mash for a quick 'pie'....
    Dried Apricots - Cut into branflakes; chopped and added to bulgar wheat and spring onion for a quick salad; soaked in ta and used to stuff a baked apple; nibbled as a snack.
    Tinned green beans - I love them, I can eat them cold from the tin, almost a meal on their own, yummy!
    A bar of Green and Blacks....just because!...do I need a reason!...and I try hard not to see ot as a meal-substitute!
    A couple of packs of microwave rice... (Oh the shame to admit this!....but it's just as a 'standby'!).... base of a meal in seconds.
    A pot of Gentleman's Relish - on hot buttery toast, lunchtime doesn't get much better!
    Eggs -...scrambled, poached, baked, fried, omletted - and that's before you add flour and have pancakes et.c

In the Freezer:
    Fish - Pop a small fillet in a pyrex bowl, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, sprinkle with herbs, bake for 20 minutes - quick meal (and one of the first things I cooked at Uni - and stunned fellow students that I actually 'cooked' my own meals!)
    Fish Trimmings - ready for a quick fish pie. Usually includes salmon, white fish and smoked fish bits. (Add a few prawns if I have them for extra luxury)
    Bread - I live alone and freeze bread in packs of two slices...they can go straight in the toaster. (and then get topped with loads of butter and Gentleman's Relish!)
    Minced Beef in Tomato and Onion Sauce - basis of so many quick meals.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

Sainsbury and Tesco have stopped doing them and my local Waitrose doesn't have any either!!

I've taken to washing the brined ones and re-packing them in salkt!

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Ulp! I must admit I bought my current jar some time ago - we don't use masses as my wife doesn't like them.

8. I always have pasta in the cupboard - spaghetti, rigatoni and orzo( since I managed to find it in Waitrose)
    tinned tomatoes, passata, eggs, tinned pulses which I use to make bean salads for my lunch, stock cubes in case I run out of proper stock, arborio rice, dried mushrooms for risottos, jar of harissa, dried apricots, pine nuts, jar of pesto.

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I always have rice and pasta in plus baked beans & tined toms. I have to confess to Dolmio pasta sauce pouches for 1 in desperate times.
    Our store cupboard stand by is breaded cod from the freezer. This is served on top of beans on toast with some grated cheese. Sounds vile but we love it!
    We don't have many emergencies. Planning meals for the week is something that I enjoy doing at the weekend. I don't go to bed happy unless I know what the next day's dinner is which means I can get something out of the freezer if needs be.

10. Dried pasta
    Tinned tomatoes, garlic and chilli
    Usually have a massive stockpile of risotto rice as well because our local Tesco seems incapable of keeping it in stock (either that or we live in the Midlands Risotto Belt) so I buy a load of it when they DO have it.