1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Emergency calls

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florapost, Feb 3, 2011.

1. now - bearing in mind we were dealing with illegal roadworks outside the house till 10.30 last night - so it couldn't have been worse - but then, it couldn't have been much better
    1.15am - phone goes - drag self up - emergency community alarm, milton keynes - my dad is waiting an ambulance to be rushed into hospital with suspected heart attack
    what am i supposed to do? make coffee, wake mr post, who has sense to point out that if i venture an hour+ drive on the m1 on 1.5 hours' sleep, i am risking life and limb and helping nobody
    1471 reveals i cannot ring community alarms back, but bt dir enq (so thanks) tracks them down and i explain situation - they suggest they ring my sister instead (she lives all of 15 miles nearer - one brother same, other brother 2 hours away) i say no - i will go up first thing today
    so at 6.30 i ring hospital - dad fine, no way they want me there before 11-ish - ring head, sort out what i should have been doing, drive up - dad fine - yet another false alarm (we are waiting for a place available in his residential home of choice - have been promised april/may)
    so - is it acceptabe to ring community alarms and say - look, have my mobile, leave voice message, i will pick it up at 6am after a decent night's sleep - to get to the bottom line, if he was actually dying, i wouldn't make it in time anyway
    anyone else in similar geographical situation?

2. now - bearing in mind we were dealing with illegal roadworks outside the house till 10.30 last night - so it couldn't have been worse - but then, it couldn't have been much better
    1.15am - phone goes - drag self up - emergency community alarm, milton keynes - my dad is waiting an ambulance to be rushed into hospital with suspected heart attack
    what am i supposed to do? make coffee, wake mr post, who has sense to point out that if i venture an hour+ drive on the m1 on 1.5 hours' sleep, i am risking life and limb and helping nobody
    1471 reveals i cannot ring community alarms back, but bt dir enq (so thanks) tracks them down and i explain situation - they suggest they ring my sister instead (she lives all of 15 miles nearer - one brother same, other brother 2 hours away) i say no - i will go up first thing today
    so at 6.30 i ring hospital - dad fine, no way they want me there before 11-ish - ring head, sort out what i should have been doing, drive up - dad fine - yet another false alarm (we are waiting for a place available in his residential home of choice - have been promised april/may)
    so - is it acceptabe to ring community alarms and say - look, have my mobile, leave voice message, i will pick it up at 6am after a decent night's sleep - to get to the bottom line, if he was actually dying, i wouldn't make it in time anyway
    anyone else in similar geographical situation?

3. Is this really your own dad you're talking about?
    Whenever I received a call like this I was off like a shot, adrenalin wakes you up.
    If it had been a heart attack it could be the difference between saying your goodbyes and spending a lifetime wishing you had.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Would you not consider that a service that involves the words "emergency" and "alarm" would want to get in touch with you immediately?

5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Really, you cope. It would be fine.

Ummm.... yes but you might. Or.... you have to try else you'd never forgive yourself......

6. tbh - i don't like my dad much - none of us do - the only reason he's so far away is because he went there in a snit after my mum divorced him. the only reason he's still living alone as he is, is after my younger brother and mysekf spent weeks checking out and taking him round homes and getting forms, he hid them and swore he'd set them in- we had tofind the balnks and make him start again
    the 2 of us do our duty, a 3rd does only when it suits her (which is never when it's actually needed) and the 4th can't be bothered
    it's a practical question

7. mandala1

That's OK then.

(Are you sure your user-name hasn't been hi-jacked????)

8. I am confused.
    I would have been off like a shot - and I was mightily p.issed off the last two times as I knew getting a flight was not possible and I was neither there to say goodbye to my Grandad nor my Mother.
    That hurts like hell.
    I was panic stricken - I was ringing all and sundry so that SOMEONE was there. And had a hotline to my sister.
    I couldn't wait until the next morning. I couldn't SLEEP. If I had been able to just get on a plane, I would have done.
    If I had only had to get into a car - I would have been in that car 1 minute after putting the phone down.

9. But, even if you don't like him, he is your Dad. And even if you call it duty - who else does he have?

10. I think its perfectly reasonable. My mum has a similar situation with my nan. After 3+ mercy dashes to the hospital only to find out she's made a miraculous recovery we now need leave it to the next day before we go to the hospital.

We do the best for her that we can but we have our own lives to live so we're not going to feel quilty if we're not by her bed side when she dies. You sholdn't either.

11. I hope I'm not so heartless when I'm older!

12. You spoke what I thought.
    I couldn't - I really couldn't. No matter what.

13. Im in my 20s .

If you don't like some one just because you have the misfortune of being related to them doesn't mean you should have to run around after them. This man's a grown up. He's capable of looking after himself.

Get on with your own life.

14. i should add - whatever i say about my dad - he was as horrified as i was that i'd been called - he'd thought the point of the emergency alarm was for him to summon assistance, which he did - not for them to summon relatives - and he is totally in agreement with my trying to set up a system which doesn't involve my being called in the small hours of the morning - and yes, this is the umpteenth false alarm
    another good reason for him to move to the residential home is it's 20 minutes away - so i could always get a taxi (whoever said it - no, i'm not a good driver, and i really couldn't have done that drive safely - to have done so would have been to put my dad before my kids, basically) not to mention having him here for sunday lunch every week and that sort of stuff
    if you love your parents fine - but fletch - keep the resolve going
    ps mr post really does love his mum - but she drives him nuts and he gets so mad at her, even my mum has noticed - a little objectivity and politeness can go a long way even in a family situation

15. And I am a lot older than you. Your attitude is selfish.
    Totally.
    You are totally different to flora - and I will not even put you in the same league.

16. in my defence - i did drive 100+ miles there and back today
    and i'm going to do it tomorrow
    and now i need to sleep

17. mandala1

Don't you just go, and perhaps have a bit of a laugh afterwards if it was a false alarm and it's the umpteenth time that has happened? Honestly, you won't die if you miss out on a bit of sleep.

18. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Tell me more about these illegal roadworks - how were they illegal?

19. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

they are sponsored by the daily mail, they turn up, steal all our roadwork jobs......