1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Embedding safeguarding, BV and Prevent

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by joerawcliffe, Apr 5, 2019.

1. joerawcliffe

joerawcliffe New commenter

Hi,

I am looking for some ideas on how I could embed Safeguarding, Bristish values or Prevent into a L2 functional skills maths session on Area, Perimeter and Volume.

I seem to be able to think of a lot of Health and Safety ideas but the three areas mentioned above have me stumped.

Any ideas are welcome and thank you in advance.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Is this some policy that you have to embed everything into everything else? A tickbox exercise?

Aren't safeguarding and prevent things that you have to be aware of, rather than teach in a maths lesson? And British values is something that relates to some subjects more than others.

I remember when there was a big push for numeracy across the curriculum, and somebody wanted every department to rewrite a unit of work to include some numeracy. What a stupid way to go about it. Our drama teacher included numeracy in the best way possible - when it arose. (28 of you today, what size groups could we have? I want you in groups of three, are we going to be able to do that with 25 of you?) That way kids could actually see the relevance, which is surely the point.

cazzmusic1 likes this.