1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Embedding ICT Wifi and Laptops - thoughts..........?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by jonholmes, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Dear all,
    I appreciate that this topic has been discussed at some length but I would still value your thoughts.
    I have been charged with the job of getting the children to use ICT more in their learning. I work in a school (aged 7 - 13) where presently we two ICT suites which are booked out the majority of the time. The teachers are using ICT in delivering their subjects but the next stage is to get the children themselves to use it even more. One solution which has been discussed is the trolley of laptops/tablets and wifi solution in classrooms.
    I am keen to put this forward but have some reservations:
    • Time it takes for the laptops/tablets to fire up - can you suggest a good supplier?
    • Wifi or networking issues - presently with RM for network and servers CC3, no Wifi presently.
    • Does this increase in access to ICT improve childrens learning in other subjects?
    • What age would you start the role out with?
    • Value for money?
    • Support issues - will the support dept be spending ther rest of their time sorting any problems with it out?
    Many thanks in advance
    J

2. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I'm in secondary so slightly different to you, but I rue the day we ever introduced laptops. They're never charged up properly because students don't plug them back in and they drop the wirleless connection seemingly at random. Worse still, students have cottoned onto this and now use the old "my laptop doesn't work" excuse to do no work or to disappear for a visit to the technician.
    Needless to say, next time around we instead spent the money on fixed stations.