1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Embarrassing stuff whilst out shopping.

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by slingshotsally, Sep 1, 2011.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi all,
    I was in the local Tesco express and as my son screams if he is in the push chair too long, I un-buggied him. (He's almost 2).
    Anyway I was just looking in fresh fruit section- sorting through some fruit- bag in one hand,putting fruit in with the other. It couldn't have been longer than a minute at most.
    As I finished I realised he wasn't with me- I had a quick panic and started to go through the aisles, next I notice a man giving a perplexed glance to the side. I headed in the direction of the look to find my son. He seemed very happy - but he would be as he had just taken bites out of the ends of 3 bagguettes (sp).
    I bought the 3 bagguettes- but I realise now that I shall have to keep him strapped in to the buggy and give him something to each if I go shopping in future. I am just relieved he didn't head toward the wine section- that would have been a nightmare.
    BPG

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Oh bless him, at least like you say he wasn't near anything breakable but just munching on the baguettes!
    I hardly ever take my kids to the supermarket, just leave them at home with daddy. If i do take my son i put him in the trolley seat, or he's on reins, because i know he's fast and he's escape within seconds.
    We were in Costa the other week and i thought my husband was watching him, but he just turned away for a second, and then our son was nearly at the entrance and about to escape. I know people are worried about getting into trouble, but i'd like to think someone in the queue or near the front of the café would've stopped him before he got out the door.

3. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

I too have been faced with the alternative of keep strapped in and endure tantrums or unleash and lose within seconds. After one experience of him running round the aisles, never again, I'd rather the screams, but it is sooo embarrassing though and I have no choice as we go shopping pretty much every day for bits and bobs. I can't use reins, it just doesn't work for us, I'd need 10 times the length. LO doesn't like the trolley seat either :( Boys?

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Haha boys indeed! I've always put my son on reins since the first time he walked outside because i know he'd escape otherwise! I see other kids his age or younger just trotting beside their parents and i know he'd never do that. He's actually really good with the reins and doesn't complain about them. He does complain about going in his buggy seat though, and we haven't been able to get him in a highchair since about March!

5. Thank you for this thread! Can't wait to go back to work after 6 weeks with my just-turned 3 yr old, but your stories have made me feel a lot better!
    At risk of hijacking the thread (I don't need replies, just a chance to vent a little), LO has a severe communication disorder (which basically means he doesn't understand any language - not even his name) and it's made for a really long holiday! I seem to have turned from patient, calm mummy into evil-and-shouts-a-lot mother from hell. And guess what? He still doesn't understand ;)
    Wonderfully though, he has learnt to wriggle out of the harness on his pushchair, and can now escape at will, and in complete silence! Luckily he tends to chuckle very delightedly when he's free. It makes all our trips out that little bit more exciting - LOL!
    Think we'll both be happier when school and nursery start again next week. He is a little poppet really... and it certainly isn't his fault.

Feel better for that :)

6. Sorry - got my line break tags wrong and then the edit function failed :(

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Try gettin him to hold the basket and pick out items. Its funny if anyone else ever take them and they tell tales... daddy got biscuits. Daddy got dirty beer. Daddy didn't get as much fruit as mummy. Ob if you have a younger baby in adouble buggy you might not manage it though.

As an 18 month old I used to steal stuff out shopping. No my mum's not fagin and I don't now!

8. My lo is 18 months and doesn't eat stuff, but she does like to "tidy" everything in the shops. She picks things up from one box/shelf/rack and puts it on another. I can't cope with the screaming of keeping her strapped in the buggy/trolley seat, but she does now like to stand in the main section of the trolley and point me in the direction she wants to go.
    She also tries to steal stuff. I have to frisk her every time I go to pay, or leave a shop.

9. slingshotsally

That's happened to me so often- the security guard now stands at a certain distance from the till with his eyes on my son.
    Sadly though, my son thinks the security guard is playing with him and has been known to look at the guard as he is trying to grab stuff- then giggling when the guard shakes his head.
    It doesn't help that the till area is surrounded with attractively packaged sweets at just the right height for my son to grab.
    BPG

10. slingshotsally

My son does that with his car seat- a real nightmare when driving on the motor way- we can't stop or pull up somewhere to sort him out.
    Vent away- I have been doing that a lot lately on personal forum with threads a few times- my son has breathing difficulties (severe asthma) which result in frequent trips and admissions to hospital. I do feel isolated and frustrated at times too!
    Hurray!! Have a lovely weekend!!
    BPG

11. Thanks :)

We're both much happier today.

Thinking of investing in one of these to deal with the car seat issue:

http://5pointplus.com/