1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Embarrassing problem

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Dec 12, 2011.

1. [​IMG] Y'see, that would be no good for me. The instruction "Left hand down" would completely throw me given I still don't recognise left from right instantly. "Right.....now left....hard left' would just make me panic.
    I think this is why I don't like sat-navs. I abhor them, preferring a map every time and getting a mental picture in my head of where towns/villages are in relation to the place I want. A voice saying 'At the next junction take the second right' just scrambles in my head when I am driving. This is how dyslexic people must feel. If I see left or right on a display in front of me on a road sign...and the name of the place and with direction I have to go in, I am absolutely fine. It computes and I happily drive the length and breadth of the country.
    I had a big L and R drawn on the back of my hands by the driving instructor when I took my test. [​IMG]

2. I used to refer to is as "series parking!"
    It is called parallel because you are parallel to the kirb.

3. See - so you can do it.
    Stop being nervous - you CAN drive, you CAN park and you ARE good at it.
    Stop avoiding it.
    xxx [​IMG]
    P.S. Women are the better drivers and parkers - tis statistically proven.
    P.P.S. Men won't believe it.
    P.P.P.S. This is why many women think they are bad drivers and parkers.
    Think about all the times in your life you have heard jokes about women drivers.
    That sits in your brain.
    Bin it. Park. Cos you can.
    [​IMG]

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Yes, things have moved on a great deal from the old days ;-)

5. Those were the days - comedians used a comma to make their pointe.
    [​IMG]

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Ow, that is fab!

I'm sure the problem is that I worry about people watching and thinking the reason I'm hesitant is that I'm female.
    I spoke to middle daughter about it and she agrees she gets similarly stressed by it too. Despite being very experienced in driving cars and big vans, she still gets comments from her (non-driving) partner about needing a ladder to get to the kerb when she occasionally parks a little way away from the pavement.She admits to the shunting back and forth too.
    Of course the only harm done is that we use a teeny bit more fuel than if we'd gone straight in, and considering how smoothly and low-revvingly I drive the rest of the time, it's nothing really.
    Just pride.
    and practice