1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Email to Employer (Max 5000 characters)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SUPER.SUPPLY, Mar 21, 2016.

1. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

Dear Theo,
    Excuse my ignorance but i need to know what you put into this box when applying for a job.
    I recently applied (one month in advance of the cut off date) to a job in Hong Kong and never heard back. i uploaded the cv and supporting statement as requested on here but left that box blank. On the school website it said to send the cv and supporting statement to the hr email address given. Im disappointed because i sent it twice to the hr address provided and didn't get an acknowledgement after id asked for it. So, what am I supposed to put in the box which says Email to Employer (max 5000 characters)? Ive just looked at it in my saved jobs box and the application stated INCOMPLETE. Which is more important, following the advice on the school website or filling in everything and sending it from the tes website? I'm a little perplexed.

Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. SUPER.SUPPLY

Thank you, i tried to put the personal statement into that box but it was having none of it. Even at less than 5000 words. I don't mind that I'm not good enough. I felt a little miffed at myself for not clarifying this earlier before the cut off date. Onwards and upwards.

p.s. what is an E.S?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A newbie to the world of TES applications! Apologies about that, I hadn't realised from the way you addressed me. It is part of the Professional Advice Hub articles - here you are.

Applications advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

2. Applying for a job in a school I suggest that you read these in this order

NQTs start here! *** N.B. ***

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Pre-application visits to schools

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written...

Can I ask a school not to contact my referees just yet? ***NEW ***

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Blank E.S. Pro-forma for job applications***NEW ***

Letter of application for a teaching job ***NEW ***

Sharing letters of application, supporting statements and executive summaries ***NEW ***

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

No CPD to put on the application form!

5 common errors in applications

Best wishes

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Just reading your post - did the form ask for 5000 characters? And did you type more than 5000 characters but less than 5000 words? And therefore did the website throw a hissy fit and refuse to accept it, then claim it was incomplete?
    I use a website that has a character limit, and if you exceed the limit by even a single character, it refuses to save any of the data. So I wonder if you've hit the same problem?

SUPER.SUPPLY likes this.
  6. SUPER.SUPPLY

Ah ha, tes website says 5000 characters, I did a word count. About 1700 but would have exceeded 5000 characters. Ooops!

Even so though, when the school does ask you to submit your application to they email address I would have thought that would be more important. I'm a newbie with a lot to learn with regards to the international scene.

Thanks for your responses all. I will read though your words of wisdom Theo, when I've finished marking.