1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Email Software for Primary schools

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by impulce, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I need to purchase some software to enable our teachers (we're a primary) to teach children how to use e-mail.
    I would really rather it not be e-mail addresses that can also be used to contact anyone in the outside world, and wondered if there was any software that creates email address for the children and lets them e-mail each other internally. Anything like that out there?
    It would also be handy if its user-friendly and simple, as we'd like to use it with both KS1 and KS2. It might be that we have to purchase two seperate pieces of software - I have seen the 2simple e-mail one, which might be OK for KS1 but isn't very inspiring for KS2.
    Also, if children are e-mailing each other - how do you ensure what they are e-mailing is suitable? Is there a way that every e-mail can be pre-moderated by a teacher before being sent?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Unless you enable sending emails to external servers an email server is only internal. That being said setting up an email server isn't the easiest thing in the world. It would't let you pre-moderate email though...
    If you can setup a virtual server you could always setup webmail using - http://squirrelmail.org/ which is kind of like hotmail, etc. No software to install on the clients.
    Sorry if that doesn't really help.

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

If the children are not going to contact the 'outside world' (who would want that much aggravation?), why not expose them to an experience they are unlikely to get at home - persuade your staff to have them write letters and postcards instead?

4. We do lots of letter writing in Literacy, and the skills ladder we follow says they need to be able to use e-mail. I just wondered if there was anything suitable.
    I can only find 2email which doesn't actually email anyone other than the computer programme and is very aimed at KS1. Im considering getting it for use with our younger children, but I would also ideally like something for KS2 children to be able to e-mail each other. I would like it to be moderated so we dont end up with behaviour issues and unhappy parents!
    Surely something like that exists?

5. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

I haven't tried this but it looks like it does what you want
    http://www.kidscapism.com/KidscapismTeacherEmailSystem.aspx

6. You are a star, thankyou!

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

great find madcat, thanks for sharing