1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Email Scam.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dragonlady30, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Email from a chum I know to be away.

Would I purchase Amazon gift cards, photograph the numbers on the back and send the pictures by email so she can forward them to her niece for her birthday.

Being a techy-blackspot, I sent the pictures to her text account, not her email. The staff in Asda where very kind and refunded my money once I explained the situation and had sent the pics to text.

Phewwww. It could have been a pricey mistake.

2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Maybe it is too early for me, but what has Asda got to do with it?

Did you buy the cards, scrape off the bit hiding the number, then took them back and they refunded you?

3. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Amazon vouchers can be bought online and emailed either to buyer or recipient, without the plastic waste generated when a gift card is bought.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

There was a thread about this exact scam a few weeks ago

emerald52 likes this.
  5. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

That was my thread! Exactly the same - £300 vouchers for the niece of my husband’s friend only for itunes vouchers this time. They must be making loads of money. Report to the police.

6. Dragonlady30

I bought the cards from Asda. They all had a window on the back of the cardboard so there was no need to scrape anything. Asda refunded me because they were able to cancel the cards before they had been activated.

colpee and emerald52 like this.
  7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Makes sense. thank you.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Presumably you texted them to the real friend not the fake email address?

9. Dragonlady30

Yup!! :oops:

She was somewhat bewildered as to why I sent her the images. :oops: