1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Email puzzle - I’m stumped!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by bed, Jul 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bed

bed New commenter

How can an email sent from X to Y be received and read by Z without Z being copied in?

Z wasn’t cc’d
    Neither were they Bcc’d
    I know that because X would (surely) have realised they had Bcc’d Z into the email
    Y hasn’t a clue either

X and Y were conversing over email and Z seems to have received at least one of these

It’s very puzzling - your help is appreciated

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Y has probably (accidentally) Forwarded the email to Z. Which is very easily done in most mail systems

3. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

If it is a school system anyone, including Z, can see your email with the system manager's
    connivance. They could even be watching you type it. Happens here. Be suspicious.

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

It could be workplace monitoring, although I doubt it would be GDPR compliant. If emails are monitored you should be informed (simply telling you in an AUP that they may be monitored is unlikely to be enough).

Alternately, as @madcat says the message may have been forwarded to them. If they were bcc'd then X would be able to see this from the sent email.

Or they've accessed the email through illegal means.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Happens all the time in my house. OH wrote the bit of code that sorts emails coming into our server, and he and I both get copies of anything going to child's home email address. (She and her friends are aware of this. Sometimes they use their school email addresses instead. Once I let friend's mum know what time her daughter was sending emails. We don't usually read the messages because they are very boring.)

6. matthew47

matthew47 New commenter

If neither X or Y share the email, then Z has admin access. What email service provider are you using?

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter