1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Email host?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SussexSEN, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Hello people. I've just completed my union rep training and was advised to set up a non-school email address for my members, as the head is entitled to read all school emails and a lot of cases can be highly personal. Can anyone recommend a suitable free host which won't be blocked by school filters?
    (btw in case anyone is concerned about appropriate use of school time - reps are allowed to do rep activities in the school day!)

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Hello people. I've just completed my union rep training and was advised to set up a non-school email address for my members, as the head is entitled to read all school emails and a lot of cases can be highly personal. Can anyone recommend a suitable free host which won't be blocked by school filters?
    (btw in case anyone is concerned about appropriate use of school time - reps are allowed to do rep activities in the school day!)

Thanks [​IMG]

3. Am employer has no right to read emails, except in exceptional circumstances; although they may choose to do so with dubious legality.

4. Of course they do - they have an "acceptable use" policy and are entitled to read all emails and have a look at your internet history. It is their email you are using, after all. Did you not sign an acceptable use agreement when you joined your school? Employees can be dismissed for contravening this!

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

and yet, with the exception of a small number of cases involving lawyer-client privacy, every single case in which an employee has sued an employer for reading their e-mails at work has been decided in favour of the employer.

6. Surely any separate email account...hotmail, gmail, rocketmail...would be appropriate.
    If you want to go a step further create your own domain and assign an email address to it...ie,rep@sussexsen.co.uk

7. Thanks Bauble but I need something that will get past the school filters and hotmail etc are blocked.