1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Email Hacking Problem - anyone come across this/know an explanation?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Feb 19, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Having a massive problem.
    My Hotmail account appears to have been hacked. Loads of my contacts have received random emails appearing to be from me. Most have received the following:

how are you
    I would like to introduce you a very good trade company . I bought the electronic products from them recently.
    All the products are original and high quality .and they have good after-sales-service.
    Please take some time to have a look: www.nimoyf.com .May be you can get more profit.
    E-mail:nimoyf@vip.188.com
    Sincerely
    Eva_Smith

The email appears to come from me and is even signed with my name. Upon searching the email address online I've ascertained that this is a worldwide scame and appears that my hotmail password has been hacked. No problem can just reset password and reset account settings.
    But, a few of my contacts, including my boyfriend, have received a different email. This email appears to be between me and an address I do not recognise. It appears that this person has contacted me and I have replied. There are a few emails back and forth, and then the final email (and all the previous replies) have been forwarded to a few from my contacts list. This apparent conversation is/would be quite incriminating had it genuinely happened.

Obviously, my boyfriend is a bit upset by all this. Although the first email I've described appears to be clearly a hacker, I can't understand how the second has happened. Luckily, one of the replies I've apparently sent was timed at 4am, when I was in bed asleep with said boyfriend.
    Any ideas how on earth this can have happened?

2. fantastischfish

Having a massive problem.
    My Hotmail account appears to have been hacked. Loads of my contacts have received random emails appearing to be from me. Most have received the following:

how are you
    I would like to introduce you a very good trade company . I bought the electronic products from them recently.
    All the products are original and high quality .and they have good after-sales-service.
    Please take some time to have a look: www.nimoyf.com .May be you can get more profit.
    E-mail:nimoyf@vip.188.com
    Sincerely
    Eva_Smith

The email appears to come from me and is even signed with my name. Upon searching the email address online I've ascertained that this is a worldwide scame and appears that my hotmail password has been hacked. No problem can just reset password and reset account settings.
    But, a few of my contacts, including my boyfriend, have received a different email. This email appears to be between me and an address I do not recognise. It appears that this person has contacted me and I have replied. There are a few emails back and forth, and then the final email (and all the previous replies) have been forwarded to a few from my contacts list. This apparent conversation is/would be quite incriminating had it genuinely happened.

Obviously, my boyfriend is a bit upset by all this. Although the first email I've described appears to be clearly a hacker, I can't understand how the second has happened. Luckily, one of the replies I've apparently sent was timed at 4am, when I was in bed asleep with said boyfriend.
    Any ideas how on earth this can have happened?

3. It is a normal and very regular hack, Eva.
    The fix is simple, change your password every couple of months and it will stop!
    Most of your contacts will have also been hacked like this. I usually email the person and let them know I have receivedthat message and how to stop it happening again.

Last month my mother sent me a message about a brilliant perfomance motorbike she was enjoying and thought I might like to test drive!!!
    Her sister was a bit surprised.... and replied asking if she could have a go on it when they visit in summer!!
    Just ignore it, chalk it up as something you have to be active about in order to use t'internet!

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Didn't you suspect your school's IT technician when your TES account was 'hacked'?

5. fantastischfish

I certainly would't have put it past him, but I was more just trying to think about where I might have logged in when my password and username could have been accessed by someone else. I never did completely get to the bottom of it, but I had my suspicions. You might have noticed another, very occasional, poster posting as Eva___Smith (with extra underscores). Not quite sure what's interesting enough about me that someone would want to create a sock or a troll or what ever you call it...but hey!

Thanks to the poster above HBF, can't see your name. I'd would chalk it up to needing to change my password. However, it's the second email that I'm worried about. My boyfriend has kind of grudgingly accept that no such conversation occurred, but he did at first voice his concern that the email conversation must have happened in order for it to be forwarded to himself and a couple of friends.
    My question is how could a hacker fabricate an email conversation involving several replies from me and then forward it to friends? The emails have my email address in the 'from' section and seem to indicate that I was inviting him to come and meet me/offering to meet him secretly.
    Somebody's f*cking with me clearly but how???

6. That bit's not too hard at all! You could do it yourself...
    You click on forward and then simply modify the message. Add and delete whatever you want and as long as you add the identifyer lines (To From etc) it all looks real!
    Easy! All I need is one email from you or just to know your addy and I can create and send you a reply that looks like the last in a long line of emails!

Either that or you are cheating............ or your bf is and has done this to make you look guilty! Or one of you has a jealous ex........ or annoyed someone... or has a friend with a sick sense of humour... or a little brother!!!

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The bogus company recommendation e-mail sounds like a virus that has used your address book to propagate spam promotional messages in your name. I've received such spam, apparently from people with whom I've been in e-mail contact before, but not from a Hotmail account. That does seem a little odd.

As viruses spread via contact lists and address books I switch both options off in all my e-mail accounts and simply 'Reply' to mails as I receive them, or reply to earlier e-mails if I want to contact someone.

8. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Happened to me - change your password

9. fantastischfish

This would require me to recognise the email address it's being sent to/from though, which I don't.

10. Nope! Just that they know your addy! They could create an email addy for themselves specifically do fo this!
    Pick any email, click on Forward, delete everything in it and start typing!
    You could trace it through the ISP address but I can never rmember how to get this to show on screen!

11. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

It happened to me loads with my Hotmail account (despite regularly changing my password) so I swapped over to Gmail and I've not had any problems since - or any spam for that matter!

12. The lesson from this is don't use hotmail.

13. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

You can find the IP address of the computer that sent it and the Internet service provider for that computer, Open the message and in the top right next to the reply button is a down arrow for a menu where you can view the message source. Copy the header, which is the part above where the text you read in the email begins. Now go to an email tracking site such as this: <a target="_blank">http://www.ip-adress.com/trace_email/[/URL] and paste the header in the box and trace it. Bear in mind the header will need to be the one on the email that was received so you'll need to ask the recipient to do this. You can't ask them to forward it as the header will identify them rather than the malicious person. You could however ask them to save the email and send it to you as an attachment.
    At this stage you'll get an idea if there's any chance it could be someone who knows you personally or just a random attack from a hacker in another country because the tracing site will have a map of the origin, but bear in mind this is the service provider's location. If it's reasonably near, such as in the uk, send yourself an email and trace the header in this. If it turns out to be the same ISP there's a possibility it could be a colleague as the school will use the one service provider.
    The Police will have the power to request the ISP for details of the location of the computer it was sent from and persue it from there. It's probably not worth worrying about if it's overseas, just change the password. If it turns out to be from a computer in your school, it will be interesting.

15. I don't have regular hotmail problems... just the once.
    I'll change to summink like gmx if I do though.

Only the Eva's spam problem is hotmail related. The weird email is possible on any system - it is more human/personal it seems.

16. fantastischfish

Thank you modelmaker. I really appreciate the time it took to post that!

Unfortunately, I should have mentioned that I can't access my hotmail account at the moment - my password isn't working. I've contacted Hotmail who've said it will be sorted in 24 hours, but we'll see.

17. That's the bit I always forget, the simple down arrow!
    Thanks MM.