1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Elocution to 'talk posh' no but...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ramjam, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

With a partner from Liverpool, I might have reason to want elocution lessons for some children. Actually I'd just settle for them saying th and f in the right place. Once they know that 3 is spelt three I suppose it doesn't matter if they say free but saying it properly only requires a little effort. If the little finks would only think, I'd be happy . When they tell me they fought of a good idea, I first remind them it is thought, and then resort to asking fought with whom. They think it's funny but at least they correct themselves.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

There was an article in the TES this week about a primary in Essex, Basildon I think, who had introduced elocution for their children. Seemed to have made a great different in spelling and writing.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Yes, we find that regional accents are affecting spelling and levels in oracy as 'standard English' isn't being used by these children (different from an accent, I know but same kids)
    Don't think the parents would be open to eloctution lessons!!

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

The English co-ordinator who introduced the elecution lessons, was speaking on Radio 4 yesterday. She had a very strong Essex accent herself, and didn't pronounce the final "l" or final "t" on words. If her students speak in the same way, it's not surprising that their spelling was poor.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

When I was 8 or 9 my mum sent me off to elecution lessons to help with my spelling ... it didn't help!