1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Elizabeth is missing - just wow!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Dec 9, 2019.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

What a wonderful actor Glenda Jackson is. We were just transfixed watching this last night. I cant really put into words how strong her performance was. She has fantastic components to work with - voice and face to start with. I'm lost for words really. I'd read the book, but this televised version had this wonderful added bonus of a star performance.

2. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

An absolute tour de force, I'd forgotten how great she was. Probably the most powerful performance I've seen all year. Very moving.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Yep, a tremendous performance. Upsetting to watch for many, I'm sure.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Agree. She was superb. I could not take my eyes off her and forgot that she was in deed an actress. Yes likely to make painful watching for some sadly . I ‘d read the book but couldn’t recall most of it - overrated for me. Wonderful production though. One of the best things on the BBC to date .... and when I think about how much dross it commissions !! - scandalous ?

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Depressing subject matter obviously, and will bring back some unpleasant memories for any who've had to care for older family members, but yes, as a performance, and as a production it definitely stands out. I particularly liked how the narrative structure matches Maud's confused thinking. We're never quite sure at which point the story begins, and neither for that matter is she. I'd be surprised if there's not a BAFTA nomination - Glenda's still got it.

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

When I was a student doing the Christmas Post to earn some extra cash, Glenda's house was on my route. This was when she was at the height of her career in the 70s. I remember being very nervous and starstruck when I used to have to ring her doorbell with a recorded delivery. :eek:

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

is one of the reasons I just couldn't face trying to watch, although I'm sure Glenda's performance will have been good.

On the positive side , if this raises the awareness of the general public, it can only be good.

8. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I couldn't watch it either as my dad had Alzheimer's and I cared for him for 2 years.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've been spared the care of loved ones with Alzheimers so far but I don't think I'll be watching it.

10. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

I've read the book but as I don't pay attention to television last,y watching dvds I had no idea it was on .
    Very good book and I can only imagine how distressful it is to watch if you ha e loved ones suffering with dementia .

11. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

She said she did to to raise awareness of dementia.
    It was absolutely stunning.
    Perhaps the Beeb will recall how good it was at broadcasting single dramas and have a rethink.

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I was awestruck. She simply inhabited the role.

minnie me likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My Mum, Step Dad, and Dad all went through mental deterioration in their later years, so some of the moments in the programme were uncomfortably familiar to me, but I was still able to appreciate it as a quality drama with a valuable message. Distressing at times but definitely worth a look.

One element that struck me especially was Maud's son, who turned up only twice every year from abroad, yet Maud thought the sun shone out of him. Long-suffering daughter meanwhile ended up with the daily burden of her care, and had all the arguments with her. It was exactly the same with Mrs MSB and her Mum, whilst my chocolate teapot brother-in-law lived only two hours down the road and did sod all. How many families does that happen to?

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm sure in an awful lot. Certainly I saw it with my paternal grandmother whose daughter came to visit once a day- more later on, because she lived locally. yet we were only able to visit once a month or so because of distance. It was my Aunt who had all the hassle, yet 'the sun shone' on my father, as far as my grandmother was concerned.

I was an only child, so no competition, but I do know the relationship between my mother and myself was severely affected by 'our new relationship' of me caring for her and certainly spoilt those last 10 years of her life for me.

magic surf bus likes this.
  15. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I watched it and thought Glenda Jackson was amazing. However, with an elderly parent currently suffering from Alzheimer’s it was a difficult watch. There were twists to the story that made it a gripping drama.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  16. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I will have to watch it again because I spent much of it watching through tears. So many things that reminded me of my mum, and I was a bit melancholy anyway, as it was exactly two years Saturday since mum died.
    But I really hope she wins an award for that performance, it was amazing. I've never read the book,

17. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I’ve read the book which was amazing. I can’t wait to watch this - I’ve recorded it to watch over the holidays!

18. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I missed it due to being last in the pecking order for the remote control. I'll see if it's on iplayer.

19. nqt04

nqt04 New commenter

It is, for 29 days. I’ve just watched it and agree that Glenda Jackson is superb. I saw her on stage as King Lear a couple of years ago, she simply became him and left ‘herself’ behind.

I too watched through tears, as my mother is rapidly losing her short-term memory. So sad.

20. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I've just watched this on iplayer. What an amazing performance by Glenda Jackson. She was so believable and brought back bitter sweet memories of my mother in law who passed away this year. I cried through parts as I was reminded of how frustrated she used to get because she knew she was forgetting things. To anyone who hasn't watched it, I recommend it but it may prove too painful for some.

Morninglover and Lara mfl 05 like this.