1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Elite Athlete & GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by tbird800, May 31, 2011.

1. I am looking to start a GTP in September 2012 (after the Olympics are done...) Basically I am a very high achieving international sportswoman (I'm 23) and while my sport is a huge passion I have always wanted to be a primary school teacher. Alot of people say it can't go hand in hand as both are hugely demanding but I know other athletes that teach and some that have done GTPs and PGCESs this year and are just completing saying it was exhausting but managable.
    At the moment I train 6 days per week, 4 of those twice a day. My plan is to- once I have settled into a routine at the school attempt to train twice daily monday-thursday - extremely early in the AM if necessary. Friday no training. Saturday and Sunday just mornings.
    I suppose my question is does this sounds like a ridiculous and unachieveable task?
    I would like to add that I got a first in my English degree while competing at international standard and it is not on a whim that I have decided to want to teach, I have been volunterring in a local primary school every friday and have undergone 3 weeks of work experience in other schools and I am looking to secure some more in september. I also work three days a week part time in afternoons as a child minder for an 8 year old boy.
    I don't want to have to sacrifice my sport and equally I don't want to put my dreams of being a primary school teacher on hold any longer, but realistically how huge is the GTP workload?

2. Hi,

I am coming to the end of my GTP with PGCE, at my UNI we have to do the PGCE assignments along side the GTP.

I have two young children aged 4 and 6 and I have coped! Yes at times I have wondered how but I have and if I am honest it hasn't been as hard as I expected because I enjoy it.

I think with your obvious commitment you will be fine. I also think your 'other role' will be appealing to UNI's and schools!!

Go for it!! (and good luck with your other bits and bobs!))

3. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Hello!
    It really does depend on how big a commitment you want to continue to make to your sport, and how committed you are prepared to be to your new career!
    It does depend on what sport - because to train as a road runner is very different to training for a sport needing a unique elite facility. Why not share with us what your sport is?
    Also, will you intend to carry on competing? How often? Where? These are serious considerations, and you will need to decide if you are prepared to sacrifice these...what about if a competition clashes with a parent's evening?
    Your training school will expect a big commitment from you in return for their providing a massive level of support for you...and I think the answer is that you will have to choose...
    Mark

4. OP, you have us all intrigued! As someone else commented, people with children regularly do the GTP and survive. My mentor had 4 school aged children when she did it; I have a pre-schooler with SEN and am due to start the GTP in September. I won't have as much time to commit to the course as someone who is single and childless with no other major commitments in their life, but I'll make it work given the time I have available.

If you are driven to succeed, and top sportspeople are generally the best examples of people with commitment and fortitude, then I imagine you'll make it work. And I would imagine schools will love you! Good luck!

5. Thankyou everyone for your input and opinions! I am an 800m track athlete, I have represented GB in international age group (u20, u23) championships and have made my senior debut as well. I have won a fair new national titles....and have been doing so since I was 14. I am 23 now. My mother was an Olympian for GB I want to follow her footsteps...thats all I will say in terms of my sporting career as I can get a bit carried away.

I agree with the comments about being determinted suceed. I really do thrive on hard work and I have a real passion to want to be a teacher and I am not going into it thinking its going to be an easy task. Sport has given me the confidence to be myself, and the determination to continue persevering when things start to get tough. These are now innate qualities and I think they will enable me to be a good teacher and also qualities that I hope I can pass on to pupils. I think everyone has limitless potential and fully believe that if one works hard at something great things can be achieved.

I hope I can achieve sucess in both careers the challenge does excite and me I know one member of the british team who is a teacher in secondary school infact....and of course the summer off which is our season will of course be a good bonus!

6. Sorry didn't answer a few of Marks questions in that previous post. Yes I am only 23 so I intend to compete for as long as possible, for as long as my body can stand it...im my even (800m) the optimum age for best performances is between 28 and 31.
    The sugesstion that I will have to choose is what I think I expected people to say but I am encouraged that a couple of posters have agrreed that it could be achievable. The truth is I can't choose, if pushed I would choose my running I feel I was born to do it and I won't stop until I feel I can't give anymore. I would take this same attitude into a classroom. I will always do my best in every situation. To always try your best is probably one of the best lessons in life.