1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Electronics A Level?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ViolaClef, Jun 16, 2019.

1. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Enquiringly on behalf on a teenager, who’s studying GCSE Electronics and wants to go to university to study Electronic Engineering. His school doesn’t offer A Level Electronics - a subject which would be perfect for him and in which he could gain high marks. Is there any way of studying A Level Electronics with a tutor - or is too much equipment required for the practical aspects? Any suggestions or advice?

2. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

Might be best checking out https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/degrees/electrical-electronic-engineering
    Maths and Physics are by far the most important subjects with CS, ICT, D & T and finally further maths. Admittedly this is Russel Group Universities, but they no longer look at the old facilitating subjects, so probably in line with most universities now. It may be disappointing not to be able to do the A level of a subject that is loved but if it isn't a requirement for a degree, stick to what would be best.

ViolaClef likes this.
  3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Although it is some years since I taught A level Electronics , the project circuits are usually required to be micro-controller based and project/bread boards are acceptable for construction - few additional measuring instruments are needed
    As far as I am aware WJEC are the only board still offering this course so it is probably worth checking their current syllabus.to confirm this

But, even if you could find a possible tutor and source the equipment, I would have to agree that taking A level Further Maths (or similar) at school would be a much better choice . Which in addition would open more pathways.

ViolaClef likes this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@dalersmith and @madcat Thank you both for your advice - much appreciated!

Do you know how ‘A’ Level Computer Science would be if you did not take it at GCSE?

And, in your opinion, is an ‘A’ Level in D.T. well-regarded by Russel group universities?

5. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

In theory the A level CS course "does not require any previous study". In practice students find it difficult to get high grades unless they have a good prior grounding either formally or informally gained

A level DT does give an excellent base for many design courses, but these do tend to be offered by the new universities rather than the traditional red-bricks of the Russell group and the like. These will not overtly disregard the qualification but ...

But the reality still is that in the STEM area, the advice always has to be

'If in doubt, do more maths'

ViolaClef likes this.
  6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Thank you so much @madcat.

I realise how important the Maths is - and while the teenager in question is an able Mathematician - I understand he’s capable of top grades - I don’t think he would consider going for the Further Maths course. His third A Level will be a tricky decision. The Russell Group unis seem to be asking for three As for Electronic Engineering courses, so it has to be something where he has the ability to get an A.