1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Electronic Structure

Discussion in 'Science' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

I have an interview and have been asked to teach a lesson on the topic of electronic structure. Im a little clueless and so any exciting ideas would be very much appreciated

2. peterdevon

peterdevon New commenter

Probably best to start with quantum theory and the Schrödinger equation and proceed from there.

3. what year group/level are you needing to pitch it at? visuals/hands on models are always useful for the rather difficult concept that a lot of students initially struggle with, quantum theory and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle/ the aufbau rule and the idea of subshells/ Shrodingher might be a little too advanced for GCSE

4. Cosmic_Rainbow

they are only in year 9 which is why im a little baffed on the topic chioce.

5. Ask the school (or check on their website) which syllabus the Y9 are following & then use that to determine the content of the lesson.

6. Use different coloured smarties / marshmallows etc for the three sub atomic particles. Tell students they may eat the sweets if they can first make a model of the particles inside particluar atoms
    and / or
    Use labelled/ coloured ping pong balls and velcro to get students to place particles on a felt board the make the model of the atom
    and / or
    'hats' and role play,
    followed by some paper based activity to test understanding / make notes.
    If you do find that you need to go into detail about electron shells and electron structure, you can still do this as a hands-on activity - you just need to incorporate the shells into the models.
    Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

7. peterdevon

peterdevon New commenter

https://www.tes.co.uk/taxonomysearchresults.aspx?parametrics=46651,47001,47027&mode=browse

8. Cosmic_Rainbow

im thinking of giving them a completely unrelated strater jsut to get them thinking while i introoduce myself. im going to laminate sheets with the nucleus and shells already drawn on so that they can just draw the electrons on to it. a group activity of some sort and thne as a plenary im goin to put some drawings on the board with the worng amount of electrons and ask whats wrong/ put the right electrons and they have to work out which element it is

9. MrGator

MrGator New commenter

I'd rethink the plenary - if you put up an atom with the wrong number of electrons, then that would just make it into another atom - unless you were going to include protons in the nucleus for the pupils to work out which atom it is. Let's say the answer for one question is sodium (2,8,1) - you put up the structure 2,8,4 (Silicon) and say this electronic structure is wrong - what could it be? It could be anything! Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the plenary?

10. Cosmic_Rainbow

for some i was goin to tell them what atom it is, eg. mg and then put 8 el;ectrons then they will ahve to tell me that the elctron number was worng. also i was thinking of drawing them wityh the wrong number of electrons on the shells, eg put 3 on the first shell, or not completelyt fill the shells before starting another one

11. I think that will just confuse. electronic structure isnt just about electrons. you will need to refer to protons and neutrons as well. and it would help your plenary if you did since then they would be able to use the proton number to correctly identify the number of electrons.

shell filling can be quite fun, using sweets or counters is a good hands on way.

12. Cosmic_Rainbow

i have some pretty beads and threads to make the shells and elctrons now :)

13. G1J

G1J

I always thought Electronic Structure was all about Electrons and atomic structure was all about protons and neutrons and electrons etc...
    I quite liked the OP's idea for the plenary, I assumed they were intending to say, this should be the structure for Fluorine (for example) but what is wrong with the electron configuration.

14. I would always teach these hand in hand tbh - i.e understand what the proton number on the periodic table means and how to work out how many electrons/protons/neutrons.
    I think as long as they were specific enough the idea would definately work. But you woould have to focus on just the elctrons to make it work well I think

15. Cosmic_Rainbow

I didnt get the job tho they did say i taught a good lesson, just wasnt good enough in the interview :(

16. i would argue that you can't reasonably teach any aspect of atomic structure at GCSE level without reference to all three subatomic particles and their relationship/properties, hence my reference to protons and neutrons.

back to the OP:
    sorry to hear you didnt get the job, better luck next time, but good to hear the lesson feedback was good!

17. The Atom Game on the TES shareware site has been very popular (go to secondary resources, then chemistry, and Atoms & elements; the Atom Game is about twelve resource down).