1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Electronic Readers for exam access

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by surfncanoe, Dec 7, 2015.

1. surfncanoe

surfncanoe New commenter

hi everyone.
    I am trying to find out whether it would be worth investing in some electronic readers for exams, for those students who qualify.
    Does anyone have any experience of these and whether they are more beneficial to students than a human reader.
    Many thanks
    Ian

2. Birdie64

Birdie64 Occasional commenter

My daughter (severely dyslexic) uses a kindle for school...it helps because she can change the size of the font and dim the background colour...it definitely makes a difference.

3. camptownraces

camptownraces New commenter

These make a massive difference to students in my experience. They give the students independence, avoiding the embarrassment of asking an adult to help: you can watch them read and re-read a passage several times until they are sure they understand it. You never see that with a human reader..

We've only used text to speech software on a PC/laptop, which is also OK for exam use. I don't think a Kindle would be able to do this - not the right format for exam papers.

4. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Which software do you use for this purpose, camptownraces? What led you to choose that particular program from the range of products available?