1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Electronic Noticeboard

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by JaquesJaquesLiverot, Mar 26, 2012.

1. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I haven't got experience of either of those, I'm afraid, but I did make my own simple system. It was an intranet page that allowed staff to enter a message, a year group (or whole school), a date for it to appear, and a number of days for it to appear. These were stored in a database and a query displayed today's notices on a page that updated itself periodically using JavaScript. The students' home page on the intranet also looked up which year group they were in and showed them the relevant notices.
    I'm pretty sure that none of the students ever took any notice of the messages.

2. Thanks for the points of view. I can see the potential fall out when Fussy parent walks past the screen and see's words mispealt.
    We are striving to reduce reliance on email as its largely misused and slows down the disemmination of important messages to students (I guess largely because the email isnt of direct interest to the tutor/teacher).
    With that in mind, if we bring in new software technology, it has to be as easy to use as sending an email.
    My view: Although Grammar and Spelling are important - I think the effective communicating of messges is more important(Suppose you could argue that effective communication would encompass good spelling and grammar). Freeing up staff from being messangers, even more so.
    Im leaning towards Xibo at the moment as its free!