1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Electronic music- Year 5

Discussion in 'Music' started by kittenmittens, Feb 4, 2012.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Just hoping someone can help with choices for teaching electronic music to year 5- we are (loosely) following the LCP scheme of work- unit: Journeys into Space, and I know a lot of the children are interested in electronic music so I'm considering teaching this as a sub-unit to tie in with the topic. We have the opportunity to use a recording studio with applemacs, keyboards, drum machine etc and there may also be a chance for them to have a DJ workshop on mixing, scratching etc. Obviously everything will need to be appropriate for them but has anyone done this before? I'm thinking techno, trance, popular/ chart pop with elements of dance music eg Rihanna We Found Love, then letting them compose their own... what software would you use on a mac for this? Thanks

2. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

My younger daughter (year 6 but in a years 4 - 6 class) is doing a term's project under the Wider Ops umbrella using GarageBand. Their remit is to create a song about the Environment. I think she has written lyrics in Literacy sessions and is then building up her piece in Music. The children have a suite of MacBooks so are woking individually, although the teacher seems to be sharing good practice every session.

In your position, I think GarageBand is a fantastic resource. You could use the loops to scaffold your piece in terms of drum and bass lines then they could either use the loops for melody lines or the more able could play/sing in their own.

DD loves it - she has access to GB at home anyway but she says that everyone in the class is making progress.
    Sorry for lack of paragraphs - I'm using the Mac :D

3. kittenmittens

Great, I have done a little bit on GB before now I think of it- had completely forgotten! Will have a play with it and see how it works, thank you! I think my groups will be really keen especially the boys, should be good fun.

4. Oooooh. This sounds like FUN!!!!

5. kittenmittens

Just to report back- this has been really successful, the chn have enjoyed listening to a wide range of subgenres of electronic music and we did a quiz looking at musical elements of each subgenre eg trance, drum n bass, dubstep etc.Now we're using Sibelius groovy music to compose tracks and garage band on a small number of macs. I'm really enjoying it too! Thanks x