1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Electronic dictionaries

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Jan 14, 2016.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Why does the though of allowing an upper ks2 child to use a good electronic dictionary brought in from home during independent reading make many teachers' blood run cold at the thought? But bringing in a hulking printed dictionary in which it takes a child ages to look up a word is generally considered more acceptable?

2. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

Does it make teachers' blood boil? Wouldn't bother me. We even bought a few electronic dictionaries at my school.

3. mystery10

Would you allow ones in from home of there was an inadequate supply of school ones or they did not contain an extensive enough dictionary?

4. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

We generally don't allow the children to bring electrical devices in, so that might be the only barrier. If this didn't matter, I wouldn't have a problem with a child bringing in an electronic dictionary.

5. KelRilon

KelRilon New commenter

We've got electronic dictionaries in class. I usually only take them away, if I catch someone playing hangman when they are meant to be working... :rolleyes:

6. mystery10

Yes - I think that's frequently the problem. No home owned electrical devices. Is it fear of batteries?!!

7. mystery10

Same thing could happen with pencil and paper! Does your school let home-owned ones in?