1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Electromagnetic spectrum - how do you remember it?

Discussion in 'Science' started by rachel_g41, Apr 10, 2007.

1. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Raging
    Martians
    Invaded
    Venus
    Using
    X-ray
    Guns

2. kthor11083

kthor11083 New commenter

Real
    Men
    In
    Velvet
    Underwear
    eXcite
    Grannies

It’s how I was taught it 10 years ago, and how I teach it today ☺️

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I have never heard of using a nmemonic for this, and this is exactly why, it is n't a definitive list with clear classifictations

4. uxleumas

uxleumas New commenter

grandma's eXalent unibrow violates iowa's marrage restrictions

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Randy
    Men
    Inject
    V1agra
    Until
    Xplosive
    Growth

6. Orion

Orion New commenter

Please! All this is wasting memory cells......

Just work on the principle.... ROY - G - BIV

Then you add to it..... by logical reasoning

IR -> ROY - G - BIV -> UV

Then you work on the idea that micro are longer and even longer still are radio to curve around the planet so must be added on to the red side as are ok for you, but UV is clearly not!

Radio -> Micro -> IR -> ROY - G - BIV -> UV

Finally talk about what is great to look inside your body but not turn you into a hulk....

UV -> X-Rays ->

Hulk....

-> Gamma!

This is a great logical way to treat the spectrum.

Also for Triple pupils I would always add in that X-Rays can be hard or soft due to how you create them with bombardment of metal with electrons. Hence, you get an overlap!

However, gamma is from a rad source and fixed!

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I spent 30+ years teaching the dispersion of light with prisms and diffraction gratings but I could never with any certainty identify where the Indigo was.

rachel_g41 likes this.
  8. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

I've read somewhere that Newton identified six colours and added indigo to make seven, because 7 was a lucky number or something to do with the occult. Seriously.

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes, I have read that story as well. 7 was indeed considered a special number - seven seas, seven day of week, seven nail holes in a horseshoe, seventh son of a seventh son etc. So as God created light from other colours there must be seven of them so he stuck in Indigo between blue and purple but is it actually a separate colour? I don't think so but what do I know.