1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

electrolysis

Discussion in 'Science' started by rial7263, May 22, 2011.

1. I have an interview next week and the 50min lesson I have been given is the electrolysis of dilute HCl. It's a year 9 class doing 360 GCSE and been told to treat it as a new topic. The new spec seems to give this as a practical lesson (but I can't access the actually lesson as currently doing AQA). Would you recommend doing a class prac, where gas is collected and tested for Cl2 and H2 considering the hazards. Any ideas much appreciated[​IMG]

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm quoting your whole message as the original disappeared off the right hand side in my browser.
    If voltages are low, the amount of Cl2 is unlikely to be a problem in a well ventilated lab.
    My reservations about practical work would be based on the limited amount of time available. You - and your students - will have to be very slick to get the apparatus out, do the activity, put the stuff away and do some learning.
    If it were me,after aims and a starter based on properties of gases, I would get the apparatus out, no more than 10-15 minutes doing electrolysis, identifying the gases and making sure all H2 is exploded off. Then some work to bring it together and relate the gases to the electrodes.
    If the school give you crummy apparatus and the whole practical session is spent replacing dodgy wires and croc clips, you don't want to be working at that school.
    Anyway, good luck, hope it goes well.
    P

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Your message displays properly now. Oh well, just makes me look a numpty.
    P

4. Thanks Phlogiston, I was doubtful about the time factor too, maybe I should do as a demo? The next lesson in 360 looks at Cl uses etc. so also thinking shouldt show test for Cl2 and H2 in the demo.

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I immediately thought demo, as this allows you to do different activities and the school should ([​IMG]) have enough equipment to make it work. You might ask certain students to come to the demo bench and test for a certain gas perhaps?

6. Actually, having thought about it, I may go with the class prac. It would work if the equipment was set up (apart from adding electrolye to cell and test tubes) and each set put in a tray, so cutting out the getting and setting up time.

7. Please, rest assured, all H&S angles have been covered and agreed by all parties.
    I currently work in a very supportive department who do all they can to ensure a colleagues success when applying for promotion, it's really not that extra-ordinary at all. When I get it I intend to be just as supportive to the staff I will manage (oops - how arrogant to apply such positive thought) [​IMG]
    Surely university students should be referred to as such, and not pupils? However, I'm sure you don't really mean to be patronising. [​IMG]

8. I'm really pleased to read that, but I hope it's not "by a nod and a wink".
    About 30y ago I received notification (via ASE, I think) that objects pushed through the cooling slots on a power-pack could contact the live connector. My initial response was "they'd get what they deserved" but I took 24 lab-packs out of service. It took approx 2 months to get the modification and have it fitted by the technicians. (As an aspiring HoD, consider the logisitcs of no low voltage work.) Imagine our surprise to discover a metal axle from a dc-motor kit inside one! (Un?)fortunately, the culprit did not get their just deserts!
    About 15y ago I had to dismiss a friendly but incompetent technician. Despite sending him on 2 training courses and providing in-house support, he was unable to correctly wire a 3-pin plug (that was an objective, major failing - there were other aspects of his work which were unsatisfactory). If his legal team dug into my past, would they have discovered that I turned a blind eye to H&S legislation when it suited me? NO!
    I sincerely do not believe that anything dangerous will happen if you carry out your proposed actions. BUT, if it does, then you risk not only your future, but also your current HoD, HoD at your "new" school and both leadership teams. They may be unaware of their responsibilities in this matter; if they do understand and you can get written confirmation of their acceptance, then be aware that no-one can absolve you from your need to comply with H&S legislation - you could still be prosecuted by HSE (although this is unlikely so long as things are OK [for the life-time of the power supplies?]).
    My intention is not to prevent you delivering an interesting lesson, but to help you to work safely. If, as a leader, you do not comply with rules, why should your staff, or your pupils? If I discovered you were breaking the law at an interview in "my" school, I would try to ensure you were not appointed (see previous posts on illegal photocopying/ use of ICT resources)!
    PS Congratulations on discovering I currently teach at a University. Further research should have revealed that I has Head of a successful and supportive Science Department in an 11-18 comprehensive school. It was for the sake of brevity that I adopted this latter persona to adress your need for help with a Y9 group, without explaining my stance. On the whole, I tend to refer to post-16 folk as students, and younger ones as pupils.

9. Got the job [​IMG]

10. Natalie, I did the class practical, 10 sets for 30 pupils, so groups of three. It went very well, the HOD had already sent me the class data though, with their levels etc. so I knew I was working with a very able, top set.
    They said they were impressed with the practical and I was the only one out of four who did a practical, it was for deputy HOD.