1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

electric wheelchair - ideas, suggestions help please?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Woozle, Jan 26, 2011.

1. I no longer work.. some of you will know my story from my other threads but basically I have very severe CFS/ME and am trying to make things as easy as possible so I can still get out once a week.
    I thought that soem of you may have experience of electric wheelchairs for family, friends and thought I would try an dpick your brains..
    I am rather greedy and currently have 3 mobilityscooters.

I rarely use my small boot scooter Pride gogo as it's too tiring on the
    arms and brain and in a shop I can't actually get close enough to racks
    rails to buy stuff.. I also can't take it on dial-a-bus here (not that I
    go out alone anyway but I'd like to in the future).

I have allready upgraded my class 3 road scooter to a tramper and love that as I can go up grass hills etc.

My current plan (and this changes daily) is to sell/part exchange my two
    redundant scooters to fund an electric wheelchair. I will be buying a
    used one as they are still really pricey.

I would like one that can still go in car boot but they look really heavy..

Do the batteries come off easily to load in a boot? They seem heaviest part?

I find my manual chair more comfy than scooter so assume this will be same for wheelchair?

Hoping the chair can be used in house on my really bad days when it
    seems too far to the kitchen? I drove big class 3 scooter inside to store
    originally so don't anticiapte a problem?

Do they tip up easily on slopes? I am a wuss.

Do they go up kerbs ok, slopes?

Any advice on what I need to look for?

My local shop has a pride lx2 coming in soon and they suggest that. Anybody know what they are like?

I have tried to research online but got in a muddle so all help, suggestions ideas welcome.

2. I no longer work.. some of you will know my story from my other threads but basically I have very severe CFS/ME and am trying to make things as easy as possible so I can still get out once a week.
    I thought that soem of you may have experience of electric wheelchairs for family, friends and thought I would try an dpick your brains..
    I am rather greedy and currently have 3 mobilityscooters.

I rarely use my small boot scooter Pride gogo as it's too tiring on the
    arms and brain and in a shop I can't actually get close enough to racks
    rails to buy stuff.. I also can't take it on dial-a-bus here (not that I
    go out alone anyway but I'd like to in the future).

I have allready upgraded my class 3 road scooter to a tramper and love that as I can go up grass hills etc.

My current plan (and this changes daily) is to sell/part exchange my two
    redundant scooters to fund an electric wheelchair. I will be buying a
    used one as they are still really pricey.

I would like one that can still go in car boot but they look really heavy..

Do the batteries come off easily to load in a boot? They seem heaviest part?

I find my manual chair more comfy than scooter so assume this will be same for wheelchair?

Hoping the chair can be used in house on my really bad days when it
    seems too far to the kitchen? I drove big class 3 scooter inside to store
    originally so don't anticiapte a problem?

Do they tip up easily on slopes? I am a wuss.

Do they go up kerbs ok, slopes?

Any advice on what I need to look for?

My local shop has a pride lx2 coming in soon and they suggest that. Anybody know what they are like?

I have tried to research online but got in a muddle so all help, suggestions ideas welcome.

3. Hi I can't really offer advice as such (not too sure if anyone really can without knowing you) but have you tried to get a referral through the NHS? Surely they are more likely to be able to supply something appropriate rather than someone whose sole intention is to sell you something.
    Hope you sort something out.

4. Little plum.. thank you foridea

I phone dlocal NHS wheelchair place and they have a two year weighting list and the lady suggested I would probably only be offered a manual chair.. which I have allready.
    I was then told I could apply for a voucher that is issue din april for £302 but this could only be used for a brand new chair again this still leaves the chair more costly than a used one.

I think I will have to wait.. if I lose soem weight I can buy a transportable one that will be easier for my Dad and Carer to move. In the meantime I have the manual chair and carboot scooter and as i get out less than once a week to somewhere that i would use an electric chair it is probably an unecessary expense... still by next christmas maybe i will a) be better .. if only or b) have sufficient saved up.

5. Woozle where are you? I think there is a very good place in Nottingham where they come out to you and demonstrate, so they can show you different models; you can then ask those questions. I do know that the batteries come out quite easily but they are pretty heavy.
    On a completely different angle - have you thought about getting a support dog? My sister's social worker had one, a leonburger, and she was magnificent. She helped her get out and about and, I think, gave her loads of support confidence-wise.

is it worth exploring charities who help people with your condition?

6. Gorgy.. I phoned a few places today and asked the questions.
    I need to lose weight to be able to use any of the truly portable chairs not huge amounts but some and its hard going when house and sofa bound.
    I have a staffy cross dog that would be most unimpressed with me inviting another dog in.. she is great for cuddles and having a rant.
    Not many charities out there for CFS/ME not that long ago it was considered a psychological illness not neurological.
    I hope my confidence is still there somewhere underneath all this..i just don't go out on my own anymore as not well enough to drive and need help in shops on rare occasion i get there. Dog and I make it to the beach for walkies on big scooter .. more so in summer though.
    Thanks for ideas

7. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Do you get the DLA higher rate mobility?

8. Yes Torey I do, but am using it to pay off my stair lift andall terrain scooter.. used some of my severance pay but still a bit to go.
    I so rarely go out in a car I don't want to apply for a mobility car and hoist a sits will take up a lot of my money and I would like some ramps etc put round house in future.. social services aren't able to fund.. I am using the money for mobility things so that I don't feel guilty.
    I had thought of applying to teachers benevolent fund and might consider that again. I am a few pounds too heavy for the chair I really like and that comes into pieces heaviest being 18 kg.. stil heavy but best so far. So am trying to drop some weight.. difficult when i can't walk properly let alone exercise but I will get there.