1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Electric scooters

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jul 1, 2020.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Although the headlines say the 'Government' has approved then ( but hasn't if you see what I mean.
    https://www.wired.co.uk/article/escooter-legal-uk?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB
    I wonder what you feel about this new playtoy
    We have some of them whizzing around London usually in the middle of the road, carefree and certainly over 15 MPH.Particually in the dark they are really hard to see by motorists and so silent muggers are .I feel,going to have wonderful time creeping up behind the unexspecting
    I wonder what you all feel?

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

They are currently illegal but widely in use and no one does anything about it. It doesn't really matter what the law is if it's not enforced.

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It's a years trial rental only. I can't see there being a critical mass of scooters (Pick up drop off anywhere) like Paris. They are a great green transport. I hope I get to buy one.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'm not really concerned about them as a motorist as I think it's unlikely I'll encounter them much around here.

I am concerned about them as a pedestrian as I suspect they'll behave like cyclists but worse.

Morninglover likes this.
  5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

It was a free for all in Paris last year when we went , thousands of them and far worse than the year before. Riders on pavements, travelling through red lights, against the flow of traffic and just abandoned everywhere. I heard the city were putting in tougher regulations earlier this year, not sure how that worked out.

fraisier likes this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

'On the roads only' sure, no-one will ride on the pavement.

nizebaby likes this.
  8. LondonCanary

I didn't find it that bad. There are rather a lot of competing hire companies. We went for Lime. The app is good to find available scooters and their battery charge level.
    They are collected every night, so it does get tidied up.

fraisier likes this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Some models can top 50mph.

To be honrst, if I was having to commute to London to work I would be tempted to get a folding one to take on the train.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    ShowerGel likes this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I suppose Nomad that is a great advantage of scooters. My problem is the police have not the resources or time to control these I feel.
    It is enough that lots if cyclists do not use the cycle paths installed for them, but those that do may not be so happy with a scooter of this sort. After all, many of the delivery guys use the cycle lanes and I have seen a few disagreements over those
    What is to stop you being robbed of them, then probably the idiot who does so will not look after it. All the electric bikes around here disappeared due to coronavirus, but also because they were stolen by the local lads. Usually when you see then they have broken apps or lie abandoned wherever they are found.
    I'm not sure how useful or safe they will be. Certainly, the ones scooter folks use here are not legal but I have never seen the police confiscate them, or even stop them...they certainly don't to the guys on bikes who do wheelies on pushbikes in the middle of traffic and usually going on the wrong side of the road!

11. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Wonder how many people will get killed...scooter riders on the roads, pedestrians hit by them on pavements (or crossing the road).

12. LondonCanary

Very few.

13. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

So that's alright then...:confused:

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One of the lads at my wife's workplace built himself one. He used to shoot past at high speed when I was picking my wife up after work. He used to go maybe 15-20 mph on the road and the pavement.

Then he hit somebody on a bicycle and put them in hospital, he also hurt himself but not as badly. He is currently being prosecuted by the police an a number of charges and is being sued by his victim for compensation.

They are dangerous and shouldn't be allowed.

15. LondonCanary

Yes. Obviously.

16. LondonCanary

Shared green personal transport. Ridiculous idea.

17. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I'm interested in one. Even with a new hip, I still can't rotate my leg enough to ride a bike. I don't drive so this would enable me to get to local shops etc quicker than walking. Don't take up much room and cheaper.
    My working LA is one in the trial so I might test one out when I'm back in work.

chelsea2 and LondonCanary like this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I recall another thread very recently about electric scooters, and I think I made the same point there-
    Electric Scooters! Fun, fast, agile, transportable, environmentally better than cars, easy to store, easy to park!
    -Post about them on Facebook so that everybody else wants one better than yours.
    -Post about them on Twitter and watch thousands of people across the world create memes of hated celebrities on electric scooters.
    -Post about them on Reddit and come back later to see how a hundred people have said the same things as you about electric scooters, using the same words.
    -Post about them on Mumsnet and hear multiple experts literally inventing how the technology works.
    -Post about them on Instagram to see how yes, you can still use them with breast augmentation, but only the most expensive ones.
    -Post about them on TES to join in a blanket ban on something this interesting because the inherent danger and criminality is unsupportable.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    colpee and LondonCanary like this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Could I fit a tow-bar to one and pull a trailer with my angling equipment?

20. LondonCanary

Get an electric bike. That would work well.