1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Election Promises

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Alexdiver, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Alexdiver

Alexdiver New commenter

If Starting Salaries are you Increase to 30k, what about M2-M6 ? Will all pay have an uplift.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No-one knows! The question was debated at length on here when first announced by the Conservatives earlier in the year. The section in today's Conservative Manifesto that mentions it doesn't give any more detail than when it was first announced, so we're no closer to knowing how it would work.

Previous discussion here:

https://community.tes.com/threads/i...-what-about-more-experienced-teachers.794306/

Note that when originally announced it wouldn't, in any case, take effect until 2022 so don't go spending it all yet!

This TES interview with the DfE in September suggested the pay range would be squeezed, the difference between minimum and maximum will be reduced. We'll see.

https://www.tes.com/news/williamson-teacher-pay-will-be-levelled

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

M2 to M6 only exist in those schools which choose to use them, and are no longer part of STPCD. If the bottom of the scale is raised to £30,000 and the current system is retained, the anybody on less than this would move to getting at least £30,000. As @Rott Weiler suggests, the top of the scale could be left where it is now, and schools which use the M1-M6 scale might then move these points up by differing amounts. One effect this would have is that it would be harder for NQTs to find work (and easier for more experienced teachers) as the pay advantage for employing one would be less.

One thing I wonder about is where do public sector schools which do not follow STPCD come into this? Like many election policies, there is some detail missing.

By the way, if this is supposed to win votes, I can't believe it will be that effective. How many teachers are going to switch their vote based on it? Any volunteers? And, I suspect, many non-teachers will see it as a waste of money.