1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ELC and lost bank card

Discussion in 'Personal' started by missmunchie, Jul 30, 2011.

1. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

HELP!
    I lost my bank card in the Early Learning Centre on Friday. I've only just noticed.
    Will they keep a hold of it or will they have handed it in to a bank or police station?
    I tried to ring them but no reply, they are open tomorrow at 10.
    Panicking as I'm on holiday in the UK visiting family and I'm due to go home on Thursday.

2. missmunchie

HELP!
    I lost my bank card in the Early Learning Centre on Friday. I've only just noticed.
    Will they keep a hold of it or will they have handed it in to a bank or police station?
    I tried to ring them but no reply, they are open tomorrow at 10.
    Panicking as I'm on holiday in the UK visiting family and I'm due to go home on Thursday.

3. Difficult for us to say, really.
    I would ring/go in at opening time tomorrow to establish where exactly the card is.
    I wouldn't imagine you'll have a disappointing outcome, as at least you know where you left it.
    Hope you get it back okay.

4. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

It would probably best to phone your bank and cancel card.

5. missmunchie

Yes, I'll just have a restless night I think. It was definately the last time I used the card.
    I used to work in a shop and I can't remember it happening or what we would have done about it.
    I've got the reciept with the shop's phone number on it so I'll give them another call in the morning.

6. missmunchie

No money is missing from my account, so if the card is not in the shop where I last used it then, yes, I'll have to cancel it.

7. I must admit, I think I would take the risk and not cancel it ... especially as you are travelling later in the week and know for sure that you left it there.

8. Bear in mind that it sometimes takes a wee while for transactions to appear, but yes, I have a feeling you'll be lucky on this occasion.

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Just because you lost it in ELC (and it is still not certain you did) does not mean that ELC found it. I think you are taking a huge risk not reporting the card lost

10. That is true.
    Did you leave it in the chip and pin machine, or drop it in the store?

11. missmunchie

Yes, I hadn't thought of that!

12. missmunchie

I think I left it in the chip and pin machine as I am not used to using them very often.

13. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Not sure how you would stand with the bank is money was taken and they knew you had not reported it as soon as you knew you did not have it?

14. I was in a shop this week where someone had left their card in the chip and pin machine. I pointed it out to the guy behind the till but what he did with it afterwards, I have no idea.
    If a customer in the shop picked it up, they could be shopping online with it.

15. Hi, I did exactly the same thing last year, left my card in the local ELC!!! I had to wait until the next day and phoned them luckily they had kept it and I just had to prove who I was by showing my driving licence. Fingers crossed your ELC will be as helpful.

16. missmunchie

Thanks Flynne! The shop was quite quiet so fingers crossed.

17. missmunchie

No such luck I'm afraid! They can only keep cards for 24 hours, after which they are destroyed!
    ELC very efficiently cut up my card after closing the shop on Saturday. Still at least I know what has happened to it.
    I can transfer money out of my account and cancel the card now.
    Thanks for all your help and advice tessers! [​IMG]