1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

El Sistema

Discussion in 'Music' started by manxli, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Does anyone know or use strategies similar to this Venezuelan project? http://www.el-sistema-film.com/el_Sistema_Trailer_en.html
    I teach music in a small SEN school and have tried something similar albeit just recorders, guitars, keyboard and drums. Every child in the whole small school joins in. They learn from their peers in situ in the orchestra a lot quicker than in individual tuition.
    Would appreciate feedback from anyone who likes the approach. They have a mini version going in Scotland somewhere.
    Regards

2. Does anyone know or use strategies similar to this Venezuelan project? http://www.el-sistema-film.com/el_Sistema_Trailer_en.html
    I teach music in a small SEN school and have tried something similar albeit just recorders, guitars, keyboard and drums. Every child in the whole small school joins in. They learn from their peers in situ in the orchestra a lot quicker than in individual tuition.
    Would appreciate feedback from anyone who likes the approach. They have a mini version going in Scotland somewhere.
    Regards

3. bod99

bod99 New commenter

read the National Plan for Music. References in there to current examples and development.

4. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The real problem is the cost, running into hundreds of millions in Venezuela - a country with half the population of the UK and where costs are very much cheaper than here.
    Sistema Scotland is still going well, I believe, and there are six In Harmony projects in England, funded by the DfE, that are based on El Sistema. But I can't see anyone coming up with the eye-watering sums needed to run the project on a national scale, especially in the current economic climate.

6. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

Quote from wikipedia
    "On 6 June 2007, the Inter-American Development Bank announced the granting of a US$150 million loan for the construction of seven regional centers of El Sistema throughout Venezuela. Many bankers within the IDB originally objected to the loan on the grounds that classical music is for the elite. In fact, the bank has conducted studies on the more than two million young people who have been educated in El Sistema which link participation in the program to improvements in school attendance and declines in juvenile delinquency. Weighing such benefits as a falloff in school drop-out rates and a decline in crime, the bank calculated that every dollar invested in El Sistema was reaping about $1.68 in social dividends".
    I guess we need someone like Jose Antonio Abreu who started the project in Venezuela to inspire the political establishment to get behind it in the UK. How about Simon Cowell?