1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS Work to Contract Against SQA

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by morrisseyritual, Jan 2, 2016.

1. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

What form will this action take? Complete downing of tools on any SQA assessment?
    EIS members need clarification from their General Secretary pronto!

2. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

The union need to _:

a) Clarify what exactly members should and should not be doing regarding SQA assessment.
    b) Inform management what they expect the membership to do or not to do.
    c) Issue advice as to what a teacher should say / do if a HT insists that something is to be done.
    d) Inform management what to expect if individual teachers are targetted

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed. Hugely disappointing that the SSTA (my union) has not worked with the EIS to coordinate action but the EIS's action is going to be pretty pointless is nothing actually happen after Christmas.

4. ladywholunch

ladywholunch New commenter

What's needed is a prolonged walkout/strike in the secondary sector.
    The EIS poll on working hours showed that the extra development and implementation required by teachers self-training in CfE and then developing material and marking for the SQA's course overhaul was approximately 12hours. Why not walk out for at least a month in recompense and protest?

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Walk out for a month to make up for 12 hours extra work?

As I said before I think change is already coming in terms of SQA demands and paperwork. It's all very well for them to say that unit outcomes can be tested through classwork but when you face verification which asks for detailed highlighting and annotation of work and detailed checklists the workload becomes ridiculous. That seems to be a message that has been fed back.

I still think this is all too little too late. Things have settled down now. Where were the EIS a couple of years ago when we were spending hours pulling out what the E&O's actually meant or when we we scouring exam specs in order to work out what these poor kids might actually get tested on.

6. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

I am very sure that there will be things happening behind the scenes- I certainly hope so

Tracking all those learning outcomes, the paper trails and all the internal/extrenal verification is getting everyone down and preventing teachers from teaching

who was is that sang "somethings gotta change?"

7. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

As someone who was selected for the first round of verification (it's due next week) I was hoping I'd be able to tell the SQA where to shove it

Wishful thinking on my part.

We need to stop all this evidence gathering and also demand an exam for National 4. All this internal verification nonsense for a piece of paper which is totally worthless. I know schools who are encouraging cheating - they have no "Foundation" pupils anymore.

8. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

Effin, I am with you all the way here, this is exactly what I think as well. It's amazing, though, to think how we got to this stage. We have been asleep and allowed the powers that be to dump all this stuff on us. We were back today and all day, at every meeting, I was aware of how much we put up with. I've had enough, but unfortunately there are always some colleagues, those with big gubs, who welcome everything that comes our way, in fact they want more, more, more, just to show the rector how dedicated they are. I see these people as an even bigger enemy than the SQA for being careerists in a hurry they make extra work for all then before you know it are up and out of the classroom and never have to worry about all this dross again. Anyway, as you can see, the season of goodwill has left not a trace on me. That's what one day back does.

Effinbankers and catmother like this.
  9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Do you work at my school?

Effinbankers likes this.
  10. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Was just thinking that!!

Probably the same fannies who didn't vote in the EIS ballot. Can't have industrial action getting in the way of clambering up the greasy pole of promotion (to get a job you haven't got the ability to do).

11. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

Guys, thanks, it is good to know you're not alone. I worked in industry before coming to teaching and even after all these years I still marvel at the lack of solidarity and the willingness of mainly new teachers to sacrifice a normal life for the sake of impressing, usually unsuccessfully, people I wouldn't p--- on outside of school.

12. heldon

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

1) Yes,they do!
    2) No idea. Probably nothing much, apart from producing a poster to put up in staffroom.

14. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

EIS need to be very specific about what they (or we) want...
    1. Nat 4 exam - will it happen? Probably not, why would SQA give up the ground they've won?
    2. An option of standardised end of unit assessments from SQA (NABs) as an alternative to the current evidence gathering nonsense. Will this happen? Possibly as this wouldn't cost too much since there are already most of them in place.

15. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Hmmm - N4 exam. I could see the SQA agreeing to this if it was to be marked internally then externally moderated. However that would just add sauce to the chocolate teapot that is N4.

16. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

So, Morrissey asked this on January 2nd and almost a week later we still don't know what the "action" will be?
    We are collectively pathetic.
    The government - and the public - won't take any notice.
    Remember the last "work to contract"? That was a resounding success wasn't it? A work to contract where 99.9% of all teachers did exactly as they did before.
    Remember, you're not being paid for the work you do over 35 hours.

17. heldon

Thought the EIS might have updated us as to progress by now?

18. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

According to the EIS website, Learning Minister Alasdair Allan is to establish a Working Group on Improving School Qualifications to be completed by the end of March for implementation for the 2016/17 diet of exams. I could cry... he is the same minister who chaired the CfE Working Group on Tackling Bureaucracy. I worry that he writes well but has no 'teeth'. So we wait... and wait... for more inaction.

Larry Flanagan's response is here

http://www.eis.org.uk/public.asp?id=3213&dbase=2

19. heldon

Does anyone know how these discussions are progressing? What is the ssta doing- or is it just just representation?

20. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

My prediction is that a work to rule on SQA stuff will kick in late April......once all the work has been done for this year .

catmother likes this.