1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS - why bother?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by jem16, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Depends what you mean by soon. from April you will pay about £12 more per month if you are on a salary of about £30k.
    You will have lost less than that as that would be the gross amount. I lost about £98 and I'm at the top of the scale. It would probably be about £68.
    They're not any worse or any better than any other union. None of the public sector workers have got anywhere so far.
    Wouldn't advise not being in a union. You might need them some day for the legal cover.
    Very simply - it's still miles better than you will get anywhere else, especially on your own.
    I'm not one of the militant ones. I'd rather just teach too.

2. Feel free to ditch the EIS but if you can find similar protection and support for employment issues, unfounded allegations of impropriety and various other legal stuff for the same price as a union will offer I would be very surprised. And it gives you a voice in negotiations over pay and conditions. Even changed, the pension scheme would still be better than any private scheme which doesn't include employer contributions. You've lost money from striking - you'll lose more if unions (all of them) aren't seen to have the majority of teachers behind them when they negotiate.
    Do you think teaching would be the job it is without unions? If you've only been teaching 3 years you maybe don't realise just how good we have it just now with maximum contact time per week, duties which are focused on teaching rather than admin...no unions and suddenly teaching doesn't look like such a great option.

3. I spent many years years teaching down south without any need to consult my union of employment matters. It wasn't till I returned home that I experienced being 'screwed' big time by a trade union. It doesn't come much bigger than a 47% pay cut for a small section of its members - in order to preserve almost completely intact the benefits of the rest. If it wasn't for family commitments I'd be scrambling back over Hadrian's Wall as fast as it took the EIS to recommend the sellout! The EIS has no defence. We all have a responsibility to look out for each other. It's not about being 'militant' it's about being 'aware'. Self-preservation may be a natural instinct but I really didn't expect to experience it's whole hearted endorsement by a body calling itself a trade union. Although, don't mind me - I'm only the person who comes in at the drop of a hat and picks up where you left off when you go sick. Would be nice that................sick pay.

4. Teach there before you come up with this comment!

What's happening down there does not compare to all the screwed up stuff going on up here. This screwed up arrogant nonsense is taking education down a rocky road. Take off your rose tinted spectacles, wake up and smell the coffee!

I have already been well and truly hung from a tremendous height..........but we do things so much better up here don't we?

5. Stick with the EIS and hope they develop a backbone? Just hope that nobody comes for you..........................while you wait.

6. I've had a very bad couple of days and I'm just letting it all out!

Sometimes you just need to vent!

Liza

7. socrates82

socrates82 Occasional commenter

The EIS leadership undid a lot of good work with their pathetic volte-face on supply last year. It was the worst moment in the history of a once-proud union.
    The way I see it, LAs used the job situation/cuts agenda to play teachers off against each other. The EIS, shamefully, were suckered into that for the sake of a meaningless "jobs guarantee".It was a disgrace for a union to abandon and betray its most vulnerable members like that. The current EIS Gen Sec needs to get the supply pay issue sorted and remove this dark shadow over his union.

8. I'm a bit late to this topic but as I don't post anonymously, anybody reading this will know that in an earlier life I was the EIS Secretary for Renfrewshire and a member of EIS Council, so my comments are based on experience of trade unions and of the EIS, but my comments here are entirely personal and I do not hold any post within the EIS, beyond my own school, so cannot and would not presume to speak on behalf of the EIS. I have taught for almost 40 years and I would be delighted to meet some of these 40+ militants. They could do us a lot of good right now when we face an onslaught against everything we worked for in the past 40 years, through Houghton to McCrone (no relation of course). I know that trade union reps are on the phone and on their emails to teachers with enquiries, concerns and complaints all day and neatly all night, without judgment. Trade union reps are there for members. No need to give examples because the examples are a near endless list. But that is only one part of the story, the other part is you (and me). If you are unhappy about something I always believed in doing something about it. I didn't moan in the staffroom. I did somethng about it. Right now doing something for me is standing for election in my union and trying to stand against the people - employers and governments - who want to turn teaching into just another job where 'mangers' direct and instruct and teachers lose the professionalism to do what they need to do to help pupils and improve education. The UNION is your union and if you want to make a difference get active in it. Do what you can. Different people can offer something different. However must rush I've a class in 30 mins. Ian McCrone

9. I hope that sorts most of the typos. Home for lunch in case anybody asks.

10. Well said.
    I can only speak of the EIS but what I have learned is that the EIS is not some body of people sitting somewhere that makes all the decisions for us. The EIS is simply its members, people who are willing to give up their time to attend meetings, sit on committees etc.
    If you are not happy get involved. Simple way to do it is to actually return voting papers - only just over half the members voted on the last strike day ballot.
    After that you could be an EIS rep, stand for election on your local committe of management etc.

11. I tried. I really did. But I kept getting knocked back and told to wait and that I had to go through this that and the other process. Then I joined the SSTA and they actually canvas for opinions instead of telling you to shut up all the time...

12. So did you stand for your local association's committee of management?

13. No. It would have taken too long and I wanted a voice right then and there. I also didn't want such a big commitment. There should be a step where ordinary members can be involved and not just at quarterly meetings which don't always fall at a point where it might actually be useful to discuss things (and in large geographical areas, not always easy to get to!). Maybe if I'd had different reps I wouldn't feel the same way but there's only so often somebody can make me feel like my opinion doesn't matter and expect to me to stick around.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The way things are going,I have no doubt this is all coming our way pretty soon,along with redundancy and having to reapply for our own jobs.

15. TheBigA

TheBigA New commenter

Can you describe these duties to me please?

16. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Going back to the orginal question:
    Just watched Newsnight Scotland on the iplayer from last Tuesday, and that was a reason for staying with the EIS - Anne Ballinger. Surely the SSTA can get someone better to front their organisation? Absolutely dreadful
    Please note I am disgusted with the EIS regarding their sell out last year (although still a member - for specific school reasons).
    The state of trade unions in Scotland is very worrying indeed if one decides to shaft vulnearble supply members and the other is led by a bumbling halfwit who makes ADES look creditworthy. I fear we are all going to get shafted and the supply sell out was just the first step.

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Someone has voiced a concern. Although I am certain she has the unions and it's members concerns at heart, her media presence is weak and gives a poor, feeble public impression on an otherwise strong union. I feel terrible for saying this, as she appears intellectually a strong leader, but I really feel the Union needs a figurehead who appears physically strong, vibrant, dynamic, indomitable, incisively articulate, solid etc. . . . . . .

18. No doubt many have read my comments about bad times coming. We face organisations - COSLA, ADES and the government who want to fundamentally change teaching and education. In my opinion not for the better. But are we prepared to do anything to try and stop them. My view is that complaining on discussions boards and in the staffroom is not enough. The way to do something effective is through trade unions. All of the improvements over the past 40 years were achieved by teachers who were prepared to stand up to employers and governments and say no and say it in such a way that employers listened. I would like to think I played a small part in some of these campaigns. The difference to-day is that we need to try and stop things rather than pursuing specific improvements which are clearly identified. So all of this preamble comes to a bottom line. If you want to effect the future of teaching you have to be prepared to take on responsibility of some sort within a union. It doesn't have to be standing for election, but why not? I am. It might be attending meetings and having your say. Doing nothing is not an option.

Ian McCrone

19. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

If the SSTA was really strong she would be removed
    All unions will need strong leadership over the next few years and a lot of media savvy.
    Can't see parents being impressed with what I saw on Tuesday, she had an opportunity to advocate the key issues around CFE on Newsnight and failed miserably.

20. As a Scot who has taught on both sides of the border and at one time helped perpetuate the myth of our own superiority when it comes to education I think you (TheBigA) have to examine your own reactions to my observations. Hands up all out there who have ever heard the suggestion that our education system is superior? Quite lot I think!

Apologies to anyone else reading this digression from the topic. I am not rude, certainly not ignorant and the only chip on my shoulder is the one I am entitled to (courtesy of the EIS) as a Supply Teacher!