1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS vote of no confidence

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Dominie, May 8, 2011.

1. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

I think this is unlikely to have much effect. There will be those who suggest that the targeting of an individual in this way is inappropriate. In voting terms, the other members of the EIS salaries committee (who will almost certainly be members of EIS Council) will support him as will other Council members for the sake of maintaining their position against an external threat.

If further debacles are to be prevented then the disaffected are going to have to stand for election to the salaries committee. I have no idea how to do this. There appears to be no constitutional info on the EIS website.

Secondary teacher members have the option of joining the SSTA. The SSTA was founded in 1944 when EIS reversed its previous salaries policy. In fact the situation is quite similar. Disaffected primary members have a precedent to follow if they wished to do so.

2. There is a link in one of the facebook discussions to the EIS constitution. I will try to find it for you.

3. Well I do and have every intention of standing for elected office when I am able to do so and when the opportunity arises. However the author is quite wrong. Whether you are disaffected, disappointed, angry or simply concerned for the immediate future (McCormac) there are a great many opportunities within the EIS to take up an elected post or to be more active in getting your message across. EIS members can become members or office bearers in their local association, they can stand for EIS Council. EIS members can become active in their school branches, attending meetings, taking part in debate and proposing motions that clarify and quantify their opinion to the EIS local association and the national body. EIS members can attend local association and propose and debate motions which establish local association EIS policy. They can attend open meetings attended by national EIS office bearers and tell them directly what they think on any issues. They can when stand for election to EIS national Council. I would urge EIS members to try it and do it. It can make a difference. I have done all and more at various times and those reading this who know me and that will be most of Renfrewshire would I hope agree that it can and did make a difference.

In 12 months time if, the members want it, the EIS can and I believe will be the effective campaigning union it has been throughout me 36 year teaching career. For the past 36 years I have been a member of a union that has led debate and the campaigns to improve teachers' salaries and conditions. The decision on the COSLA offer was a mistake, but that is not a reason to make another one. It would be a mistake to engineer more chaos amongst teachers right now. In my letter to the TESS on ADES/McCormac, I warned of the chaos ADES appear to want in schools so they can implement their agenda. ADES want to tear up the 2001 agreement and replace it with chaos. We will not even have the opportunity to challenge that if we lose sight of their agenda and allow ourselves to be drawn into a chaotic situation even before McCormac reports. On the other hand if EIS members stand firm, become more active within the EIS and we use every opportunity to put forward our case then we still have the chance to stand up to COSLA/ADES.

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

I respect your views GA and I would never discourage fellow trade unionists from becoming active in their union and trying to hold its leaders to account.
    Unfortunately, I think it's too late for the EIS. I acknowledge the leading role the EIS played in the 70s and early 80s under the leadership of John Pollock and elected officials. The EIS now is a very different union: dominated by people who appear to be smug, complacent and concerned only with their personal vainglory and that of the EIS as a "business" rather than the concerns of their membership.
    Over CfE for example, the EIS leadership has been a cheerleader and has actively suppressed the genuine concerns of secondary teachers in particular and even those of primary teachers. The EIS is still there on the Management Board when the SSTA got chucked off for voicing its members' concerns.
    Bullying by line managers is a significant issue in many schools but I don't remember any major concerns being voiced or any EIS campaigns in recent years.
    Working hours. Ditto. The leading union with such a massive membership base should have been in a position to shape the agenda over the 35hr week and working time agreements. It did not happen.
    On the contrary, EIS has focused on issues which seem more aligned to management needs than those of teachers: providing CPD for example and supporting the undermining of the Chartered Teacher programme by allowing HTs to influence admissions to CT.
    I would rather have seen the EIS lead the fight against COSLA. However, I think that a decision by ANY trade union to abandon such an important fight and to abandon groups of members to their fate would mark a watershed moment for that union. It would beg the fundamental question as to whether that union was worth saving.
    Good luck with trying to turn the Titanic around GA. I'll continue to invite secondary teachers to join the only union which has consistently sought to do what its members wanted it to do over the last decade.

5. I find your comment deeply and personally offensive. I understand your aim and objective but to make sweeping, inaccurate and offensive remarks undermines every argument you make. You have disregarded facts and I can assure you that every teacher who has worked in Renfrewshire over the past 10 years will be taken aback by this frankly unbelievable assertion.

My first major involvement as an EIS local association office bearer was tackling bullying in the workplace and supporting members who were, allegedly, bullied. I didn't see you or yours getting involved. You were not there when the EIS AGM passed the motion on bullying and harassment. I was as you will see from the bottom of this post. But being accurate would not suit your purpose. You were not there when the SEJ articles were written. I was. You were not there when members phoned at all hours for support and advice. I was. I hope you will understand how personally offensive I find your reference, and, how that reference undermines your credibility in every argument you try and make. You clearly have an agenda to pursue and do not mind misleading people in pursuing it. While you were not there for the personal stuff the motion and outcome was and is public.

74, BULLYING AND HARASSMENT.- On behalf of E1S-ULA Executive Committee and Glasgow. Renfrewshire and Penli and Kinross Local Associations, lan McCrone moved and Bill Motfat seconded the following motion, which was carried

"That this AGM resolve to develop strategies lo oppose bullying and harassment at work in all sectors of education, with the aim of this campaign being the elimination of the insidious scourge of bullying from the teaching profession. This AGM instruct Executive Council to continue to prioritise this issue and in particular lo:

(a) investigate, as a priority, which employers do nol have policies satisfactory to the Institute, lo combat bullying of employees.

(b) encourage and support all local associations and self-governing association branches in seek agreements witlh employers on bullying; in the workplace, based on EIS equal opportunities policy:

(c) issue guidelines lo local associations and self-governing association branches on what the Institute considers necessary in such a policy:

(d) monitor tlie operation and effectiveness otLlhose policies which are in place

(e) advise local associations and self governing association branches to take up cases where employer policies or their operation prove unsatisfactory to the Institute

(f) continue to highlight the issue through the SEJ and publicity in schools.

6. GuessWho

GuessWho New commenter

As a rank and file member of the EIS for almost 30 years I too have seen a shift from the EIS being a force primarily concerned with Pay and Conditions to a body which seems more concerned with assisting in pushing through management proposals.
    When, last autumn, local authorities began cutting their own education spending the EIS did not kick up an almighty fuss. It was all very low key....all about working with LAs to make the best of the situation. I suggested that in light of the cuts we should be working to rule but was told we needed a vote for this. Because of the EIS compliance over CfE, according to the EIS, this can't be boycotted because it is now up and running!
    Following the misinformation given on their website re the supply teachers salary ( Not Point 1 but 5/7ths of Point 1 for first 5 days) I contacted EIS twice to request that they made it clear that the pay for supply teachers was not actually Scale Point 1. The website was not ammended.
    After the vote I did receive a letter from Ronnie Smith pointing out that (hidden away) in the blurb sent with the ballots there was a mention of supply teachers being paid for 25 hours etc....once again there was no clarity of the financial implication of this.
    What I really can't get my head round is why would the EIS not make the 5/7ths wage thing clear to all members?
    Needless to say I have now left the EIS and I know that in my school the numbers shifting union is now into double figures.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Calm down dear! I accept YOu may be a good sort and may have taken a very personal interest in scu matters. I'm talking about the EIS as an organisation. If it had thrown the resources at the problem of bullying that it has exerted to try to persuade teachers to accept the COSLA offer then bullying would be non existent.

Passing motions? Oh yes. The EIS is very good at that.

8. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

That was a reply to Getactive's post by the way. For some reason, the quote button did not work correctly