1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS suspend strike

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by babette, Mar 15, 2012.

1. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

So,basically the negociations will be accepting the latest offer?

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,not sure what that is either. I assume the OP means last spring's so called negociations?

4. SOD = sell out deal. Yes catmum I believe we may be about to experience another shafting on this one too.

5. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Sorry if I sound naive but isn't this what we want? We threaten to strike and they offer to negotiate - isn't that better than going on strike and losing a day's pay? I understand the outcome of negotiations may not be what we want but would they be any better if strike action actually went ahead?

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

In theory,yes. However,I assume that the negociation will be accepting what has already been put as a revised offer and not a proper negociation on anything else?

7. Well in an ideal world yes, negotiations by our unions would be preferable to a strike, that's if anyone actually believed the EIS could negotiate their way out of a wet paper bag. Their preferred method of negotiation seems to go like this:
    EIS : What do you want us to say?
    SG : We want you to agree to the conditions we are about to impose without making any changes.
    EIS : We do.
    However, even at a national level the "talks" on Public Sector Pensions are going nowhere and some of the other unions would dispute the fact that any talking or negotiating was actually taking place. Westminster appears to be repeating their intial offer ad infinitum with no changes and the SG is being held over a barrel to uphold it in Scotland because Cameron et al have threatened to withdraw government grant if they don't. So suspending the threat of a strike is just removing any leverage we may have had.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm afraid so. Don't forget that we also have McCormack looming in and that's gong to be fun too. Probably the gift that will keep on giving,just like CfE!

9. Why would you assume that?
    Surely we have to at least give the negotiations a chance.
    As to the ballot result. Only a 37.7% turnout for something as important as this? Not good.
    Sorry I don't agree. We have to talk before jumping in.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I think Babette is spot on in her understanding.

11. A white elephant if ever there was one.

12. Sorry I don't think so.
    What I do think is that a turnout of only 37.7% is a rather shaky peg.

13. A very shaky peg indeed considering a 50+% turn out for the original ballot on pay and conditions last year was considered too low to be valid. Expect the EIS to roll over on this one too.

14. The EIS, as with any union, is not some mysterious body sitting up high somewhere. The EIS is simply its membership. If only 37.7% of its members think the situation is worth voting on, then the EIS has little choice.
    It would look even worse if a strike was called and most of the membership ignored it and went into work.
    The EIS is not alone. The SSTA had a turnout of 47%. The NUT in England has gone against a national strike too.

15. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

If it is SOD II then they will be "negotiating" a far worse deal right now.

BOHICA!

16. I didn't get a ballot paper this time round. Low turn out - possible due to EIS's incompetence in keeping records up to date, they have had my new address since before the last ballot!

17. So did you get in touch with them to let them know as advised on their website to do so?

18. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

The SSTA figure is based on a consultative survey. The actual ballot which was held last November had a much higher return. The SSTA was committed to strike action on the mandate of this formal ballot on "discontinuous strike action". That was contingent on the action being supported by the other teaching unions. Unity is strength.

Unfortunately, the EIS leadership has f*cked things up big time. They sold out their members shamefully last year. No wonder their membership has responded in this way. There was a time when the EIS rightly claimed the leadership of Scotland's teaching unions. The first nail in that particular coffin was hammered home last spring. Looks like the last nail is about to be hammered home.

19. As is the latest EIS vote.

As did the EIS ballot last November.

Exactly. The NUT had already decided against a national strike. No other teaching union said they supported the strike.

The EIS leadership had no choice last time with less than 20% of their membership saying they would support a strike. If the membership cared this time they would vote or leave. They have done neither.