1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS - strike action - eh?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by jonowen, Aug 30, 2011.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Another shouting moment at TV last night - what are the new proposals to teachers' pensions that EIS is predicting strike action? I feel particularly old, dim and useless so far this term and cannot believe this is only week 3.......have I missed something having had a stay-at-home holiday this "summer" ?

2. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

There is no way the EIS membership will vote to strike.

Any notion of that went south when they overruled the pay & conditions ballot with many members who were up for a fight leaving to go to other TU's.

3. jonowen

What was Jackie Bird on about last night then?

4. Perhaps something that was in the TESS over the last couple of weeks? Can't remember the article, but i vaguely remember it was someone from the EIS saying that there were loads of rubbish things happening to teachers in Scotland, and teachers in England were striking over pension cuts.
    Could it be a case of typical journalists choosing to hear what they want to hear? I have no idea.
    However, I do reckon that because of their previous major cockup earlier in the year, I think they will overcompensate with other issues, perhaps taking rash action to try and prove something. Just an inkling I have.

5. jonowen

Thanks leesey, it was Mr.Jo who said "what are they doing to your pension now?"
    (defin8tly a slow news day when they have to make it up!)

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The new proposals will be the implementation of the Hutton's recommendations.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Discussions are ongoing at the UK level. I can only surmise that the EIS leadership is huffing and puffing to convince the members that they have discovered where they left their spine and to halt the bleeding of membership to the NASUWT and SSTA over the sell out.

Before some EIS hack comes back and slags off the SSTA let me say that our Congress voted to defend our conditions by all means necessary. Once we know what level of detriment is involved then our members will decide what happens next.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Correct me if I'm wrong,Dominie but is the thing with Hutton that his report were recommendations but the government is behaving as if it was already all decided?
    ps: I'm one of your lot now!

9. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

There are certainly significant issues. HMG is sticking to the line that our pensions are unaffordable. We know this is b*ll*cks. Pensions are deferred salary and have to be considered in that light. If you can't afford the pensions then don't kid the public that you CAN afford the teachers!

There's also specific issues relating to the UK teachers' pension scheme: it used to be the case that mortality rates of teachers were high in the immediate post pension period. That may no longer be the case given the increasing feminisation of the profession. (No offence - actuarily, women do live longer) On the other hand, HMG is proposing that we work much longer which will have the opposite effect.

Then there's the issue of average salary pensions which HMG seem to be obsessed with. This will certainly impact on promoted teachers in the long run if implemented. We all know how people are queuing up to be Heidies and Deputes don't we!

What I'm saying is that (as usual) politicians have no clue about the potential implications for education of the sweeping changes they are trying to impose ACROSS the public sector. If we need to strike to wake them up to this then so be it. However, as I said, discussions are ongoing.

10. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

http://www.ssta.org.uk/news.php?extend.255.3

11. sbf

sbf

Spot on, issues are on going at a central gov level, that doesnt even mean that the Scot Gov have to accept what the tory tw@ts are trying to get through.
    It has all seemed to go a bit quiet maybe what happened down in London has made the gov think twice.
    Winter of discontent anyone.

12. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Ronnie and his great bunch are pretending to be tough on a matter that COSLA and ScotGov have no say on. It's a pretendy wee fight to try and persuade the sheep left in the EIS that they can and will stand up for members.......but only when it effects the leadership cabal themselves.

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I doubt very much that the riots are going to make the current government think twice about its all out war on the public service's pay and conditions.

14. sbf

sbf

Dont underestimate what happened down there, a some twitchy bottoms for a few days around downing street i bet.