1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS stable door

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by CTC, Jan 12, 2016.

1. CTC

CTC New commenter

partickz likes this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's not so much that decision as why the same action wasn't taken everywhere else.

AnEilean, partickz and catmother like this.
  3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Exactly. I don't remember any of the unions ever showing any concern about the implementation of the Faculty system. Not when subjects were put together in weird combination, not when HoFs who knew nothing about 2 or 3 of their subjects were appointed,not when PTs were demoted and treated like rubbish.

partickz likes this.
  4. partickz

partickz New commenter

As I have posted on various threads, I have had nothing but issues since we became a Faculty as a result of the NLC management restructuring. My department is a three person department in a faculty with a much larger subject. Our old PT got early retirement as did the other long standing teacher. Our new Faculty Head has attempted to dump lots of the work on me.

I am a PT Pupil Support and have enough on my plate without doing her job too. I was close to breaking point and went to see the DHT/HT. She is now pressuring the two new teachers (both fresh out of probation) to take on duties claiming it is good for their development.

She has already had days off and is clearly very stressed. I think managing one subject in a large school would be hard enough without having the faculty responsibilities. I am happy to help out where I can but I will not do the job of a subject PT for free. I worry when I see other staff taking on these responsibilities unpaid.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  5. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Of course everything is a leadership opportunity? What a nonsense all the faculty head stuff is. It is all about saving money - end of. W

Freddie92 and partickz like this.
  6. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I have always said that there is no such thing as "management" in schools.
    This FH woman obviously does not have a clue.
    She has probably spent all of her (short) working life dealing with children and now she must manage a department of adults - and you don't somehow magically get those skills after a twenty-minute interview.
    I am sure she thoroughly enjoys telling her friends, relations and neighbours that she is now a FH. She will almost definitely hide the fact that she is incompetent.
    Like lots of them.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

And the young teachers just can't get enough of those!

ScotSEN and partickz like this.
  8. partickz

partickz New commenter

Not all young teachers. I am finding many more younger teachers becoming disillusioned by the system. Indeed, my retiring PT said that his biggest worry was that young teachers would burn out and become disillusioned much sooner than in his generation of teachers given the workload and lack of progression in terms of PT Subject and/or Chartered Teacher. I am starting to see signs of that with teachers in their late 20s/early 30s.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  9. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Interesting, I had a similar debate today. It is no longer a job for life because people just can't do the job that long and get burnt out as you say. When the new pension scheme starts to kick in a few years down the line , it will be interesting to see? Thank goodness I will be out by then.

partickz likes this.
  10. partickz

partickz New commenter

Very true. I bought out the years over 65. But I still have a long time to go. Unless the workload settles down I will need to do something.

11. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Sad to see the Scottish Education System going down the pan - while the EIS (and the SNP led Scottish Government) look the other way it seems.

Watch Computing Science in schools disappear in a year or two, I bet.

partickz likes this.
  12. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Good

You might stop going on about it when it disappears

partickz and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  13. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I am not finding this at all, although I am glad to hear that young teachers maybe burn out and/or become disillusioned. Why? The government and councils are treating teachers like jobbies and a recruitment crisis five, ten or fifteen years down the line will be the karma they deserve. Add in the much lower pensions, is this going to be a perfect storm?

partickz likes this.
  14. partickz

partickz New commenter

I have started to notice this recently with a number of younger colleagues. Not saying it is all younger teachers, but certainly a growing feeling in our place I would say.

I think we already have a recruitment crisis brewing. Some posts attracting zero applicants. I know of two (good) probationers who left teaching after their probation year finished in June.

15. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

Very simply, this was action initiated by the local branch. It was supported by EIS HQ but it was the local membership saying enough is enough. Perhaps other local branches should take note...the union is only as strong as its members.

Are the West Dunbartonshire Council (WDC) teachers more militant? I don't detect that at all. Timing certainly plays a part, coming on top of the recent additional workload issues with the NAT 4/5 and Revised Highers.

There are also local issues at play here. An increasingly heavy handed "do as we say" approach and bad feeling over the amalgamation of primary schools and the controversial location of a new secondary campus.

The Faculty situation came slightly later to WDC and is the straw that broke the camel's back.

16. Flere-Imsaho

Glad? nice to see the typical solidarity of the teaching profession is still going!

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  17. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I don't see the relationship between me being glad and solidarity.

We're being treated like merdes and good young graduates that should be attracted to teaching will not consider it because of (1) the pay, (2) the conditions, (3) CfE, (4) the way we are being treated, (5) pensions.
    The government will be suitably rewarded with poorer quality candidates and I, for one, will be sitting smugly stroking my cat, brandy in hand, and sniggering about schadenfreude.

Effinbankers likes this.
  18. Flere-Imsaho

The lack of solidarity is your lack of sympathy for younger teachers working themselves to the bone to support themselves and their families. By all means criticize government and school policy but your sniggering is at the expense of your colleagues not those higher up.

19. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

"Very simply, this was action initiated by the local branch. It was supported by EIS HQ but it was the local membership saying enough is enough. Perhaps other local branches should take note...the union is only as strong as its members."

This sounds like the Robbie Williams model of a Union. You pay to hear him sing but then he points the mic at the audience.

20. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

This betrays a serious misunderstanding of how unions work.