1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS position on the referendum

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Dominie, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Apparently, EIS suports votes for 16 yo persons and a three part choice in the referendum scheduled for 1314, sorry, 2014!
    Personally, I'm not against either in principle. My concern is whether a trade union which is bound to contain a braod church of opinion, should be taking up a position on such an issue?
    Also have to wonder how many EIS members were consulted on the decision.

2. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Apparently, EIS suports votes for 16 yo persons and a three part choice in the referendum scheduled for 1314, sorry, 2014!
    Personally, I'm not against either in principle. My concern is whether a trade union which is bound to contain a braod church of opinion, should be taking up a position on such an issue?
    Also have to wonder how many EIS members were consulted on the decision.

3. First I've heard of it!

Better not let any of my 16 yr olds vote...... oh! It's ok - none of them will have a pen.

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Now now! (Finger wagging);)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-18290796

5. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

EIS, consult members...not often you see those words together.

6. True - how about "EIS members, chuck posturing over referendum, reinstate full pay for supply teachers?"

7. socrates82

socrates82 Occasional commenter

That sounds like a plan Sam.I can recall seeing Helen Connor standing on a platform making a lot of (futile) noise about Trident only months before she was helping COSLA nuke supply teachers' pay."The best we could get," was what she called the SOD!

8. I don't see your point. The EIS aren't taking a 'yes' or 'no' stance. The question of votes for 16/17 year olds is one that is supported by most of the mainstream parties - though strangely some who do support it don't want it for the independence referendum.
    Am not an EIS member btw.

9. Thank very much![​IMG]

10. xmal

xmal Established commenter

If you don't want 16 yos to vote just ensure that everyone has to bring their own pencil.