1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS executes strategic manouver in reverse.

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Dominie, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Sell out?
    Sale of jerseys?

If you look at www.eis.org.uk, you'll see that the encouragement to EIS members to vote NO in the recent ballot is still there. However, if you look to the latest news in the panel on the right, you'll see that the EIS representatives on the SNCT agreed to accdept a marginally improved offer subject to another ballot which will have an Accept recommendation.
    Clegg-itis. It must be catching.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As an EIS member,all I say is that I'm not very impressed.

3. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Fixed it for you.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm certainly considering it.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I can't see myself voting to accept - shafting my supply colleagues and those on conserved salaries etc isn't what I joined a union to do.

6. No, you might not accept it but a lot will. Its simply the old tactic of divide and rule as well as seeing what they can get away with. Anyone that is not conserved or interested in Chartered Teacher will now lose interest in this issue and may not even vote. I will still be voting against this revised offer but I feel most of the folk in the staffroom will move on. EIS members should take their money elsewhere in my humble opinion.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

[​IMG]

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I feel the same way.
    How can those proposals be acceptable today when it was a "vote to reject" campaign only yesterday? What happen to united we stand? Can't believe the quick change of tone from EIS.

9. p4girl

p4girl New commenter

I don't think I can vote to accept these changes.We're still having a change to what defines a 'school closure'? So nobody will mind when we're told, a little further down the road, that we need to be in school for two weeks in July...?
    Not something I care to contemplate. If only there was an alternative union for primary teachers...

10. I have just went on to the EIS website and posted a reply to their new stance on accepting the offer. Wonder if it will actually get published??? I doubt if the 'shame on you' comment will see the light of day. I forgot about the schol closure issue as well - another shove under the carpet issue.

11. Shame on the EIS.
    You think because I can still get paid while I'm sick, I no longer believe that authorities will employ supply teachers for the minimum, cover it internally for day, and then phone them up to come back for another 5 days? You think I no longer believe that probationers need that additional non-contact time to establish themselves, converse with mentors and seek/get guidance? Do you really think that I am impressed you have named an "amount" that LAs will be penalised for not employing enough teachers?
    Oh, and I still note that Chartered Teachers are disposable and those currently taking modules can look forward to 1 salary increment, regardles of the actual number of modules undertaken.
    Send me my ballot. NOW!

12. Not that I'm agreeing with the EIS position until I find out more but how did the SSTA rep on the teachers side vote today?

13. santamonica

santamonica New commenter

What a total bloody cop-out. [​IMG]
    Can't believe the EIS has the audacity to call themselves a trade union. I'll be voting against and definitely be changing to a union with some bottle when this is finished!!!!

14. If you are not on twitter, can I suggest you join and then message the eis there as well?
    WE are the UNION. They seem to have forgotten that.

Here are the reasons we were advised to reject the offer... many still apply. Print them out and then compare the new offer with your colleagues in the staffroom. Get them onside.
    http://www.eis.org.uk/pay/why_reject.htm

15. Absolutely fuming!!
    Supply teachers are being asked to accept a 46% pay cut with reduced
    employment rights. As if we don't get treated badly enough as it is!!
    £18k a year after 5 years at uni, one year probation and 3 years
    experience as a teacher, without any progression or salary enhancement?
    No other profession on the planet would accept that, totally
    proposterous.
    On what earth do experienced colleagues earn less than trainees for the exact same job (not to mention probationers get extra ncct)?!! If you are at the top of the payscale doing short term supply, you are going to lose a whopping 15 grand a year.
    The whole thing is ridiculous. That's not to mention the chartered teacher shafting, pay freeze and the total audacity of the backflipping. Please vote against the revised offer!!!

16. Yeah I just said that on their facebook. Regurgitated their own words. My comment was deleted.

17. Really disappointing. I expect my FB comments will be deleted soon enough...

18. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

Our EIS rep is coming in to school for a meeting on Monday after school. This could be interesting...

19. Lasted less than a minute.

20. All of the teacher trade unions are represented on the SNCT so no matter what the other trade unions say they are part of this agreement.