1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eis and Talks with SG

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by heldon, Mar 7, 2016.

1. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Does anyone know how the talks,are going about reducing the workload associated with the new qualifications?

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Glossy posters and booklets are probably being printed as we speak. Meanwhile, my HoF will present us with yet again with something that SMTs want done right now because it's part of the latest initiative. Of course, maybe it's just my school.

3. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

I did hear of a proposal (or was it wishful thinking) to remove UASPs from N5 & Higher courses. Can't see SQA holding their hands up on this one. I suspect what will eventually happen is an agreement to simplify or streamline UASPs (again), in other words, only 15 assessment standards per unit instead of 16! And of course another review of the review of the moderation process. Then we'll all be happy!

4. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

Getting rid of UASPs would certainly be a step in the right direction (moderation could then be abandoned for all subjects with are externally marked) as would schools/councils enforcing the 'you don't have to track every CfE outcome for every kid all the time' rule from the last shiny reducing bureaucracy thingy.

5. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Apparently SQA have some good ideas but want a longer timescale to 'consult.' SSTA and EIS are adamant that something must give by the end of March for next session or they will seek advice on action. So far - 1 practising secondary teacher at 1 of the meetings.

6. heldon

Something significant needs to give - the profession is haemorrhaging good teachers at a rapid rate. We deserve a better work/life balance.

7. sicilypat

sicilypat New commenter

I know of a Maths and a Computing teacher in my school who are going to leave teaching and get jobs "outside". Can't blame them, but both are really excellent teachers. Really excellent! I guess that many good people no longer want to face a work life crammed with ridiculous tracking of students and monitoring of staff. People who have come into the profession from other jobs realise that it does not need to be like this, and will not put up with it.

8. heldon

So then "somethings gotta change" now who sang that one in the 70's. ?

9. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Unfortunately nothing will change. SQA will kick it into the long grass, EIS will consult members over 'serious action', probably another work-to-rule which will have LAs cringing in their boots. If the EIS called for an immediate boycott on all SQA collaboration including UASPs and marking how many teachers do you think would support it leaving their pupils high and dry? SQA hold all the cards and they know it, they are stringing everyone else along. The sooner we have an alternative qualifications agency in Scotland, the better.

10. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

It's too late for an SQA boycott this year. Most assessments will have been marked, except perhaps some resits and would any of us want to disadvantage those who have struggled a bit more? Folios are also being picked up next week.

11. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

You're spot on there, Milky Bar Kid, the SQA gets away with murder mainly because of lack of an alternative. People will look back in amazement in years to come when they see what this mob got away with.

12. heldon

Any more leaks yet? I need some sign of hope that things are going to get better? Most of the staff in my school feel the same way- many early retirals as well - good teachers who have just had enough.

13. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Yes - we have several teachers retiring aged 55 even though no enhancements given. They're just getting out. Understandably.

14. heldon

bttt, was hoping to hear some good news before the hols?

15. ladywholunch

ladywholunch New commenter

2013-2014 EIS were on board with the "tackling bureaucracy" initiative until EdScot opted to back the SQA on several points of expense were NQs sent back to the drawing board.

2015 - EIS conference raised the continued burden of NQs in terms of bureaucracy. EIS hierarchy instigated survey and then motion to work to rule on NQ implementation.

2016- Main thrust of talks is that ScotGov and GTCS direct LAs and HTs to focus on NQ implementation and possibly instigate another two year pause in HMIE visits.

(There is schism growing in the hierarchy of all groups seated around the table)

16. heldon

was hoping that the EIS might have provided us with a progress update in time for the Easter holidays

the workload issue is very real

17. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I agree with Marco82 and the Milky Bar Kid - the SQA's problem is that there's no real alternative within Scotland. There are, of course, alternatives outside Scotland, like the International Baccalaureate, but I can't imagine many headteachers or Directors having the backbone to introduce this instead of Highers.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  18. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

EIS had a ballot and 93% voted to endorse industrial action (granted the turnout was poor on a major issue).

To me this is quite a simple issue to resolve - an external agency creating massive workload is not on

Union leaders simply tell the SQA there will be a withdrawal of the outcome by outcome approach which is creating the huge workload or we're not playing ball next year. No internal assessments whatsoever from N3 to AH.

We go back to simple unit tests with a pass/fail cut-off. Problem goes away.

markbannan and bigjimmy2 like this.
  19. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

That would be great. I'll vote for it. What're the chances of re-introducing some kind of exam for N4 too, I wonder?? I'd vote for that too.

markbannan and bigjimmy2 like this.
  20. heldon

Still nothing from the EIS?
    I hope they are considering further action- the learning outcome chase has to stop?
    I want to teach not process evidence and tick excel spreadsheet and spend my life internally verifying . What a mess!

markbannan and catmother like this.