1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS and SSTA

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Freddie92, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

Guys this is the wrong time to bicker over which union is the best. We have it seems a common enemy or at least our employer seems not to have our best interests at heart. There are still so many issues left unresolved that I do not believe we should roll over and accept this deal. The vast majority of teachers - for all of our failings - work very hard in a stressful job. I do not believe the public and certainly not the media ever give us credit for this. We are easy targets and it seems teaching is not a profession respected in Scotland any more. This is so sad as we are the ones who help shape our nations future. We deserve to be supported in the classroom and indeed out with the classroom as the erosion of respect and discipline among pupils is at an alarming rate it seems. We deserve to do our best without worrying about sick pay, or supply teachers not being paid the going rate. We deserve to have secured maternity entitlements and indeed secured rest from a stressful occupation. We are NOT babysitters. We are NOT clockwatchers as Mr McCrone tarred us all earlier in the week. Shame on him. I am personally disgusted by how little regard it seems COSLA has for us as a body of workers. The time to debate whether EIS or SSTA is better is for after this crisis, for that is what this is.

2. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Agreed. It's a shame the EIS salaries committee did not see it that way yesterday.

Agreed once again. I'll be urging all my colleagues in whatever union, to reject the new package. Teachers have to understand that this is the best time to stand together. If we sell the pass now then we give up the political advantage of the election. No other public service is being attacked in this way.

I note that the new agreement refers to all parties committing themselves to the McCormac Review and agreeing to negotiate its findings on the SNCT after the report is delivered. If we accept the current package what further concessions will be expected of us then? Teachers will become like partners in an abusive relationship: unable to leave but subject to repeated assaults.