1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS Alternative

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by piglet171, May 8, 2011.

1. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Me too. I cancelled my direct debit, then 2 days later got a questionnaire type letter from EIS asking why I had done so! If they send this to everyone who cancels, and have so many less members paying, I can see subs going up quite a lot next year. Pity their negotiating team don't depend on the subs for their salaries! (or do they?)

2. Have a look on Facebook as there is suggestion of a new body being formed SPTA (Scottish Primary Teachers Association) following the recent fallout as a result of the recent ballot. Other unions include NASUWT which is offering free membership for the rest of the year or Voice (however this union does not support industrial action of any kind as far as I am aware). I too am trying to decide what to do!

3. Thanks for the replies. One of the reasons for my disquiet is that I am not in favour of strike action as I feel that it has most impact on the children and the cause of our adult gripes are not their doing. Parents already think that we get far too much time off so I think that strike action will do us no favours.

4. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Parents are never happy with strike action for obvious reasons.
    However, we would not have the pay and conditions of service we have today if it were not for strike action, or at least the threat of it, over the past 40 years.
    As for the odd day of strike action impacting on children, I suspect the lack of action by teachers, and parents, at this time is going to have a much greater impact on children and young people for generations to come.
    The economy will, in time, recover. Unfortunately, by then, who knows how much damage will have been done to the education system and the status of the teaching profession?

5. Hello. If you want to be a member of a union that does not ever do industrial action or strike, then Voice is the union to check out.
    I am also interested in the SPTA on fb.

6. Nope! The salaries committee are teachers just like you and me.They are paid teachers' salaries, except when they are meeting in the evening when they are not paid at all.

7. Hi,try NASUWT the fastest growing teaching union in Britain. You will not be disappointed.

8. I have just joined the NASUWT after much debate. I just could not decide the best way forward for me but I had to leave the EIS. I just could not stomach the thought that I was still paying subs to a body that has wholeheartedly destroyed my pay and conditions as a part-time supply teacher. I also felt much aggrieved towards those members who actually supported this deal.
    In the papers today, it said that the NASUWT have voted for industrial action in defence of our pay and conditions. They have agreed with the SSTA so it will be interesting to find out whhat the EIS will do about it all. I doubt that they will now move from their position because, according to them, they have a mandate of 'support' from members and also Ronnie would be worried that he wouldn't get his gong from his pal. Alec.