1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS AGM...Tell them you're coming

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by triadplus1, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Hello. Although I will not be able to attend all 3 days due to my job, as a teacher, in the classroom, I will go on Saturday. And I'm going to ask everyone who voted Reject to say they are coming as well.

AGM OBSERVERS
    The EIS Annual General Meeting will be held in the Perth Concert Hall on 9, 10, 11 June 2011. Any member wishing to attend as an observer should contact Assistant Secretary Ken Wimbor on 0131 2256244[/b] or email egibb@eis.org.uk no later than 6 May 2011.

2. I am in the same position as you but I am going to make the effort to attend on the Saturday and hopefully others will do the same. After the result, I was quite determined to leave the EIS and move to another union but I am primary and don't, therefore, have a great deal of choice. I like the idea put forward by 'reclaimeis' but don't know if there is enough support for it, given the apathy of our so-called colleagues in this so-called profession of ours.
    I'm so disheartened by all of this, so depressed at the future state of my T&Cs but also my child's education.

3. I hope people do come on Saturday, but I also hope that if they can't, they still phone the EIS to say they are coming. I think inflated observer numbers would send a message / create a buzz in the lead up to the AGM.
    This week, I'm going to try to find out who my delegates are to the AGM, and contact them.
    We should arrange to meet up in Perth. Definitely.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm not a member of the EIS anymore, having switched a year ago to the SSTA, . . . . .. so if it's just to sit in on proceedings like a mild and meek child, then no, I'm not interested. If it's part of protest rally or demonstration of sorts, and the press have been tipped off in advance to come and get a scoop, then yes. The general public, really have no idea what's been going on in Teaching.

5. The general public? Try the teaching profession itself.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Unfortunately and most tragically, you are correct. Absurd state of affairs.