1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS 20/20 campaign

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MilkyBar Kid, Sep 25, 2019.

1. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

So the EIS have launched their 20/20 campaign, pushing for max 20 pupils in class and 20 hrs contact time. I think the former is a non-starter, remember the SNP manifesto commitment to 17 for P1/2, this was shelved through lack of available classrooms in most schools. 20hrs contact is possible over 5 years (reduce by 30 mins every year) but I still think this is pushing it. I think they should introduce reduced class contact for older teachers first (60+) to help with retention which may be a bit more acceptable to employers (if anything ever is!)

Freddie92 and bigjimmy2 like this.
  2. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Nice idea MKB, but we're going nowhere fast with this EIS campaign. Having just got a 10% pay rise, the public won't buy a reduction in class contact time.

If the EIS was serious about reducing workload it should have started by having a serious campaign to:

- Abolish assignments in the upper secondary. In fact we should be telling the SQA, a service provider, very bluntly that we'll be dictating what we want from the exam system and not the other way about.

- Abolish forward planning in primary. Can we not trust teachers to have plans in their head instead of trying to justify what we do constantly.

- Get rid of utterly dreadful tracking and monitoring systems. What did we do before these? I remember doing just fine. They're just tools for management to have a go at us with.

- Reinstate classroom assistants who can actually give support in class and for administrative tasks. All too often you have 32 or 33 kids in a class, with no support, a mixture of backgrounds, behaviour, languages and a colossal range in ability. And you're supposed to meet all their needs and raise attainment? I don't think so. I'm sure some of us on here will remember McCrone and the classroom assistants that came in with the abolition of APTs and ST. Most of them have gone along with the promoted posts, has the workload gone with them? You bet it hasn't - its been spread amongst an already overworked teaching staff.

Rant over

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  3. autoq

autoq New commenter

Absolutely. I am in contact with a number of employers who, like me , are of the opinion that Nat4 is worthless.

Yes, and how about a registration system that tells me exactly what I need. Easily and quickly.