1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS: 10% Pay Claim for 2018

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Liviboy, Jan 26, 2018.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Good point.

micgbanks and bigjimmy2 like this.
  2. Gavster77

Gavster77 New commenter

The time is now OK because it is politically convenient. EIS - as far as I can gather - staved off whipping up industrial action against the SNAS.

10% looks like a lot but is utterly deliverable - the EIS will get it without turning a hair. This will make them and the SNP look good. However in real terms we should be asking for approx. 30%

3. AyeRight

AyeRight Occasional commenter

That rumour is not true. COSLA tried differential awards last year but this was rejected. The claim is for every level.

4. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Wouldn't surprise me in the least, given their track record, although shafting management is at least a bit better than shafting supply that happened last time round. Personally I can't see a 10% single year rise for all main grade teachers, some may get 10%, e.g. probationers, the rest of us will get it over 3 years or similar. I suspect they may add another couple of rungs on the pay scale to reward the longest serving staff who may end up with 10% also, but then again, my gut feeling is that we'll get offered 4%, it will go to ballot and we'll accept it.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  5. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

I agree, though I doubt we'll be awarded even four percent. If I were on the other side I would come up with a complicated offer which would be over a number of years, would demand changes in work patterns etc and offer most to lowest paid and so hope to split opinion by making it seem better than it is, throw in a pen eye catching unrepresentative figure like say eight or nine percent , which would apply to about a dozen people in total. That gets employers and unions off the hook for another year. Wonder if I can get odds on that at Bet Fred?

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  6. micgbanks

micgbanks Occasional commenter

Why ask for 10% when you know you will accept 4%. The EIS are quoting a loss of 24%. Teachers salaries run in 20 year cycles getting progressively worse on each cycle. If teachers unions have not learned by now that you never get back what you give away the teaching is doomed.

If we ever get back to mccrone levels. The first sign of a pay offer under inflation we should be out on strike.

Teacher are their own worse enemies. Unpaid supported study! Go find a plumber or electrician to do a couple of hours work unpaid for you. I hear teachers in my LA working on Saturdays and during the Easter holidays for £20/hour before deductions. That's just below £14/hou For overtime

maryjanekennedy and bigjimmy2 like this.
  7. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

I remember reading, or being told, that a major cause of stress is not being in control of a situation. Teachers are not in control of their salary demands - gawd, our unions can't even do their job (that's us, btw). We are not going to get anywhere near what is needed to restore our wages. We are collectively pathetic.

micgbanks likes this.
  8. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

The 10% is a drop in the ocean. There'll be a good bit of political theatre to make the SNP ScotGov look like they didn't capitulate but 10% is not the outlandish amount it seems.

micgbanks likes this.
  9. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

My take on it is we wont get any more than 2.5% until we ballot for industrial action. With the new strike laws its going to be very difficult to get 50% of the entire membership to even vote never mind a majority vote for a strike.

The government only need to sit back and wait until that happens. If we ballot for industrial action and dont get over the threshold then they can do as they please because it'd be clear the unions are not up for a fight.

10. micgbanks

The pay claim is due to be settled in 3 weeks - the last one took 9 months and I didn't see 9 months worth of interest on my back pay. COSLA and the SG are taking the proverbial. Teachers unions should have balloted already - thats part of the bargaining - making sure the employers know the unions are serious. If you learned anything about the about the NHS offer it's that talking will get you nowhere - you need to be in a strong bargaining position and that means balloted and ready to strike if the the employers mess you about in the negotiations. The ballot covers 6 months - if the employers have not made a decent offer in that time we are never going to get an decent offer. Going into negotiations making empty threats about strikes is a waste of time. Ballot members - get a mandate for strikes and then you are in a strong position for action if the negotiations don't work out. Time for the Unions to get tough and get smart.

11. Marco82

Davie, I think I'm a bit out of the loop on the new strike laws. When did they come in? Are they actually in force? What do they do? I can't remember hearing about this recentLy. Would be grateful for a link.

12. davieee

13. Marco82

Davie, thanks,for that I had no idea about these restrictions. It's the state,which is always claimed to,be impartial, acting in favour of the bosses class to make it more difficult for wrokers to defend their rights. Sickening. Do you have any idea of what the voting figures have been like traditionally in education ballots? The UNISON ballot is a scandal fro just think how difficult it is to organise and keep informed people working in a sector which is so spread out geographically and with so many low paid workers who probably would just not have got round to voting I know I do that all the time when it comes to union votes , GTCS stuff etc. It's not that I'm not interested it's just a hassle. L

14. Getoutoere

Getoutoere New commenter

When are we expecting a response to said 10% claim? This week, next month, next snct meeting in May, next year? .........anyone know?

15. micgbanks

The last EIS ballot turnout was about 28%. Now you begin to see how difficult it would be to organise strike action. It's easy to throw mud at the unions but if members don't vote to support it... What's the point!

16. davieee

I don’t know with any certainty but there was a ballot around 4 years ago when the EIS leadership disregarded the result because of a low turn out. If I’ve got time later I’ll dig it out.

17. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

There's 3% on the table for classroom teachers. Obviously not enough, but you haven't been paying attention very closely

18. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

2% for those earning over £36,000 ....but their income tax will be increasing by 1%.
    So , and I realise that it's not as simple as this but, all promoted staff's increase would be less than 2%.

19. davieee

I'm only been offered 2% at the minute

20. Marco82

There we have it COSLA offers three percent, best and final. You can't blame them though for,saying they have no money and that the government has stoked expectations of lifting the pay cap but not providing the money for it. This is typical SNP grandstanding as they want to pose as "friends " of public sector workers and ensuring they can pass the blame for the failure to the local authorities. COSLA also rightly says that it is unfairly on other public sector workers to give us ten percent and that all should get the same rise. I can't argue against that. Meanwhile the EIS statement is a masterpiece in mealy mouthed evasion and pseudo threats. Do they think the other side cannot see what pathetic weaklings they are dealing with? Three percent is what we will get for most colleagues will take the view that's we can't expect any more in the current climate. Some of us will mump and moan but the three sides involved in talks will privately be very content.