1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EIS: 10% Pay Claim for 2018

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Liviboy, Jan 26, 2018.

1. OwerAuld

OwerAuld Occasional commenter

No reason to disbelieve this but just been searching for any other references to this. Would like to know context and exact wording. - No luck though. Might just be too recent.

2. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

How true

I think all the under 30s in my place all do free supported study, run lunchtime clubs and they all do dinner duty. Unpaid of course

Is it an age thing on my part or just the stupidity of youth?

Wandering round the dinner hall at lunchtime stopping fights and picking up plastic cups and dirty forks does not get you promotion

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  3. beharder

beharder Occasional commenter

He made the statement at the Labour Party conference in Dundee on saturday in front of a hundred or so EIS members and Labour delegates

4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Can we stop the daft ageism? At my place it's the 40+ group who won't engage with the working time agreement and declare themselves willing to do anything and everything that's asked of them no matter how long it takes.

5. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Then that daft 40+ group should be sent to Siberia.

6. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

Today the unions are to recommend acceptance of headline six percent wage rise for NHS staff. Do they imagine we cannot count? Inflation only rise this year and trusting to fortune that the next two years rises will cover future inflation. Union leadership - or lack of it - is the major reason why the economy is sinking like a stone as people have nothing to spend. Prentice and his ilk have made fiery speeches at every conference for years now about austerity but have capitulated without a fight every time. I'd like to know if their generous Salary and pension packages have collapsed the way their members' ones have since 2007. Even if they haven't they are still paid far more than the people they are supposed to represent which clearly has an impact on their consciousness. Maybe the most effective demand we could make now is for all unions leaders to be paid the same as us plus genuine expenses. That would help the to see things through our eyes. Anyway, as I've said before, this NHS duplicity will be what we will face - if we are lucky - very soon.

Effinbankers and bigjimmy2 like this.
  7. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

From BBC website.

The agreement is complex. It means that:
    • half will get a 6.5% pay rise over three years
    • the other half will receive rises of between 9% and 29% because they are not at the top of their pay bands
    • the lowest full-time salary - paid to the likes of cleaners, porters and catering staff - will rise by 15% to more than £18,000
    • these groups will get an immediate £2,000 rise this year
    • a nurse with one year's experience would see their basic pay rise by 21% over three years, giving them a salary of up to £27,400
    • the deal includes a commitment on both sides to reduce the high rate of sickness absence in the NHS

Lots of the higher headline percentage rises actually include pay increases due to working your way up the pay scale.
    So in the example above it is suggesting that a nurse with one year's experience wage will rise by 21% which includes movement up the scale - which would have happened anyway!
    The true rise should compare somebody who is currently on the 4th point of the scale.
    Dodgy use of statistics.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    bigjimmy2 likes this.
  8. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I am kind of hoping that someone on channel 4 news tonight will reveal the whole truth about this "pay rise".

For many this is a pay cut.

9. micgbanks

micgbanks Occasional commenter

I thought this thread was about teachers salaries - seems to have been hijacked by NHS salaries claim. For what its worth looks like smoke and mirrors for NHS Staff.

Back to teachers battle for fair salaries - Too many teacher's happy to moan their heads off in staff rooms about salaries and conditions but will not stand up for their profession and back their Unions. Still doing unpaid work and being bullied by managers into doing work which is either not their job or tasks which they don't get paid for. All for the promise of promotion in an non existent career structure.

Time for the teaching profession as a whole to grow some before the vast majority of teachers are carried out of school with serious health and well being issues. Teaching is now becoming a second class occupation.

10. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

I commented on a post re nurses pay because it is worrying the idea of using a person's rise up a pay scale as a measure of a percentage pay rise.
    The same smoke and mirror calculation may raise it's head in our, teachers' , negotiations.

11. Marco82

The point about NHS staff I see totally relevant for as you say smoke and mirrors are being used to bamboozle the public just as they will be used with us. And anyway, we are all public sector workers, we are the ones who have been shafted to pay for the criminal greed of the financial elite, you know, the people whose skills are so rare that they need millions to keep them from fleeing abroad. Had the union leaders been anything like what they should be they would have got together and launched a massive battle to protect our living standards.

Effinbankers likes this.
  12. Marco82

BTW, the BBC has just claimed the award is up to 29 percent, which is a fabrication. That's the kind of lies we wil now face.

13. bigjimmy2

14. Marco82

Jimmy that graph shows wage growth across the board, the public sector has seen no wage growth. That means the private sector must be doing even better than the average shown by the graph.

15. Effinbankers

Thye keep quoting 3% as being the rate of inflation. That's CPI - deliberately created by business so there would be a lower base index and ultimately lower pay rises.

The real rate of inflation is RPI which is over 4%

6.5% over 3 years is nowhere near inflation. As has been said above it's a pay cut.

Silly bu ggers if they accept it

16. Effinbankers

I only watch BBC for Still Game as I'm a crabbit old sod too. Their news is awful

I'm no great fan of Corbyn, but his portrayal on Newsnight was an utter disgrace as was the Facebook data stuff. Absolutely shocking journalism.

17. bigjimmy2

I meant to put a comment rather than just post the link.

18. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I believe that my head sees my refusal to do lunchtime duty as evidence that I'm past it. On the plus side, it helped persuade him to support my early retirement application.

I've broken up umpteen fights in my time, but got thoroughly ****** off last year when I found myself stopping a fairly vicious assault and couldn't get back-up from the SLT. A dinner lady helped me out. A dinner lady.

I told my line manager I'm not paid to be a policewoman.

bigjimmy2 and Effinbankers like this.
  19. Effinbankers

Youre not past it. You're probably one of the few who are still sane.

When will teachers realise doing things for free makes them a total mug? You don't get paid for lunch time so don't do dinner duty.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  20. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

We are due a pay rise in 10 days time. We will not get it in 10 days time. How has it come about that it is now ok to start to talk (there is no negotiation) at the end of March for an April pay increase? I agree what are the unions doing?

I know the NHS will load the pay more on the lower erners but I still do not understand why they would take a pay increase of 6% over 3 years when we know inflation is 3ish% (2.7% yesterday but it has been over 3% recently) Why are the media trumpeting a 2.1% pay cut over 3 years as great news?

Just to help out the Bank of England have also indicated they will be increaseign interest rates, so all the middle erners with a morgate get to pay more our each month.

I heard a very scary rumour that the teaching unions were not pushing for a pay rise across the board, they are happy to leave out "management" whatever that is, is it a PT, FH, DHT or HT. they will ask for 10% for main grade teachers only. this cant be true....can it?